Minute Clinic

Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Minute Clinic

Work Life

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

Minute Clinic flollows national standards of care. We work independently. The pay is pretty good for the area i live in. I like having a complete electronic health record.

Cons

Right now they are changing many things including trying to bring more primary care type things in for us to be able to see. Sometimes there isn't great communication fromt eh corporate office down to the providers in the office. What you know and hear depends on how much communication you have with your immediate supervisor.

Corprate level management needs to figure out what its like actually seeing patients and working everyday at a clinic. many times they pass down things to us that make no sense or that are overwhelmingly difficult to get going at a local level.

61 Other Employee Reviews for Minute Clinic (View Most Recent)

I like it.

Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner
    Current Employee - Nurse Practitioner

I have been working at Minute Clinic full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work alone. I know it is clean because I cleaned it. I know where and what there is for stock & supplies because I ordered/received and organized them. 13 different staff members haven't already ruined my day before I see a single patient. There is no stack of work awaiting me on my desk (virtual or paper) that will take another two hours to complete. There are no poorly taken notes (virtual or paper) left by a triage nurse that fail to ask pertinent questions and therefore necessitate a call to the patient when it could have been done in a helpful manor the call for more information could have been eliminated. There are no drug reps. There are no mandatory pre work day, lunch, or post work meetings that mid levels seem to have to attend but no one else. There are no mandatory committees that suck your wil to live. There is no one passing you in the hall with a piece of cake on a plate having come from an hour break that you do not get because 'you are a provider'. There is no improperly set up procedure room for the procedure you specifically communicated to the MA that would be taking place. There is no wondering why your MA is sitting on Facebook on a computer tucked away out of the patient care area while you are hands deep in need of an XL speculum trying to figure out how to get one now. There is no comaining to management about ineffective unhelpful support staff only to be told those staff are the 'best' at what they do. There is NO double or triple booming of a single time slot. The clinic has an Open and a specific
    CLOSING time; I am expected to work only inbetween these specific times. I am expected to take an hour off clock off work lunch break on weekdays and 30 minutes on weekends. I am expected to spend whatever amount of time is appropriate for the problem I am addressing. If it is a cold, I have time to actually explain this process. All patients sign up and have the expectation they will be waiting their turn. They do this with much less fuss than my experience was with ALL my patients having an appointment time that could never be met basically because in this universe (so far) there are not three 1:15's. I do not have to diagnose/educate/write for/manage/treat a previously missing to healthcare individual who has need for immediate management of insulin dependent diabetes, hypertension, Hypercholesterolemia, decreased renal function and chronic low back pain in 15 minutes. (But, I do get 15 minutes or if I like 20 minutes, to fully explain a cold and appropriate treatment plan and expected clinical course for said ailment).
    The drug seekers handbook (and we always suspected there was one) clearly states that MC does not prescribe controlled substances!! What was once 30-40% of my day... Now, I can say in six years... Probably 6 visits like this per YEAR. They don't waste their time. Like I said. MC has made the handbook as a DO NOT BOTHER.

Cons

People can freak out or be cranky and there is no one else to manage their emotion or dilute it. Just you. So, either you learn from each experience on how to manage sick people's frustration at wait time or not getting an antibiotic or you getting an actual break or you decide this isn't for you. You are in a work environment that does not want you to throw an antibiotic at colds and bronchitis and non strep sore throats. Well, everyone here is antibiotic seeking. So were you last time you had what you knew was a cold. They are miserable and we are all prone to magical thinking and seeking a quick fix. You have the time to explain why an antibiotic isn't necessary in a way people can accept and understand. If you do not wish to perfect this skill and find this one interaction bothersome. Do not work here.

Allow busy sites some control over their sign ins at two increments throughout the day so that administrative duties can be performed. I see that our busy sites are in chronic disorganized states and this makes the day intolerable. Anxiety over getting call backs, labs, ordering, stocking done before closing makes distracts from patient care (mentally) and because we are all committed to patient care.. Guess what does not get done? (Yes, the very things that must be done to have an effective work environment). I float to sites that are so awful, they are the busiest sites & in general the worst supplies and dreadfully haphazardly organized and not clean to my standard (and probably not yours either) with out dated supplies and tests without controls because the provider is providing endless patient care. (While I know this is the company goal, to maximize quality care & have us doing mostly patient care). However in my time here I know that the support duties I must do are vital to a functional site from day to day. And if unable to complete them they build to a level such that they become unable to be done at all- which is an awful emotional and physical space to be in every day. These sites have the highest staff turn over and lowest provider satisfaction and tend to then be staffed by the newcomer in wait for a better 'home site' to come around. This the continued burn out, trial by fire, loss of what otherwise would have been a great team member from the company all together. Continued disorganization at that site. It is a loop that feeds upon itself. This must be addressed as this is how we initiate all our new staff it seems. An awful thing for a new grad who has not experienced the awfulness of a different clinic environment will leave not knowing that at a middle of the road site is pretty much perfect. There is perfection to be had here but we must work on being kind to slow and obnoxiously busy sites to make staff willing to work there for the long term. I believe this is my nirvana. I'd like to see other's find it too. Based upon my pro's & con's one can tell I came from a previously VERY bad clinic experience so I've been committed to finding my way through to nirvana. I was tenacious and did not let a great many things turn me off of MC. I'd like to see us do better.

Not a forever job

Current Employee - APRN in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - APRN in New Haven, CT

I have been working at Minute Clinic

Pros

1. Good salary
    2. Hires new grads
    3. For new grads, the book of MC guidelines can be helpful
    4. Pays for DEA and has a yearly CME allowance

Cons

1. Long hours
    2. Mandatory one hour unpaid lunch break
    3. Mandatory every other weekend shifts
    4. Open holidays
    5. High turnover rate
    6. Very isolating to work by yourself all day, especially in a slower clinic with no windows
    7. Not easy to get time off
    8. May have to drive up to an hour to cover another clinic
    9. No sense of team, barely even have met all the other NPs
    10. Basically mandatory meetings every 2 months for 2+ hours on Sunday nights (often after working all day)
    11. Pressure to see as many patients as possible and the amount seen at your clinic is essentially your responsibility
    12. Chart reviews are done on a percentage of your charts through email- difficult to deal with some because there is no tone in email and feels like you are getting reprimanded, even if you accidentally say you used a blood pressure cuff that was not the best fit

1. Decrease amount of weekends
    2. Pay us for lunch or allow us to take 30 minutes
    3. Help to increase positivity on the team, make us feel good about the work we are doing
    4. Not necessary to open so many clinics on holidays