Mission Essential
www.missionessential.com Columbus, OH 5000+ Employees

Great growth company focused on the future, creating a vibrant collaborative culture & results

Director (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

Pros- A continuous learning and improvement environment.
- Bright people with new senior leadership sharing best practices from other industries.
- 200% bonus last year for nearly 300 corporate positions - previous years only a handful of semior execs received a bonus.
- committed senior team - CEO is everywhere in AFG 4 times in last year. previous CEO made it there only 1 time in 3 years; regular, consistent communication about strategy, financials, and brand; everyone is supposed to get regular 1:1 time with their boss every 2 weeks. This actually happens for most part.
- if you have an idea people are willing to listen to it - a long as its solution-driven and simplifies the business.
- smart strategic hires over last few months - HR, BD
- the founders and owners don't meddle because they have confidence in direction of business.
- Attempted to have a shared holiday season with events at all locations even in Afghanistan and care packages for those in remote areas.

Cons- the language business is in decline and impacts other growth areas. Some people still think Pashto/Dari is all we can do - internally And externally.
- people stuck in the past where ok is good enough. Will take another year for underperformers to align, adjust, or asked to leave.
- the technology is lacking - need easier to access tools for supporting a mobile workforce
- hard to build team across multiple contracts and geographies
- website doesn't reflect the work we do.
- Cycles of talent based on personal networks - OSU, L3, Harvard, and now Limited...what's next?
- some people really think working 40 hours is a lot! Pandering to recruiting staff.

Advice to Senior Management- Keep communicating the status of the business.
- Be visible and stay interested in the details. - Not every idea is one to be explored, you aren't always right, and this place doesn't have the infrastructure you may be accustomed.
- Listen to the credible advice given based on industry experience of people throughout the business.
- adopt a matrixed organization like a consulting firm instead of a hierarchy based on the military-typical defense organization.
- strive to develop a more diverse team - ie women, minorities, and thought perspectives
- be patient enough to see if adjustments are working.

Little better than a temp company

(Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

I have been working at Mission Essential part-time

Pros: Good on-boarding process in terms of HR training and presentation. Cons: No follow through on promises. Interviewers tell you want you want to hear and then change things up once you start. I saw… Advice to Senior Management: Don't talk about work-life balance then chastise us for ONLY working 40 hours a week. There was no flexibility unless your boss really… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Bait and Switch

Corporate Employee (Former Employee)
    Chantilly, VA

I worked at Mission Essential full-time for more than a year

Pros: I worked with some very talented professionals ---who were then laid off or terminated.… Cons: Not a lot of work life balance. It was a little creepy to see emails praising employees for coming right in after having major… Advice to Senior Management: Time to do exit interviews and learn why your experienced… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Mission Essential.

Worked for Mission Essential? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mission Essential reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Mission Essential CEO Peter Horvath. All reviews posted anonymously by Mission Essential employees.