There are newer employer reviews for MobileIron

Needs improvement in engineering team and culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time

Pros

The company has grown very fast in last 18 months. The company is in the right sector for growth. There are some small teams in Engineering who enjoy work, are productive and work well with each other.
Abundant food in the kitchen - people who want to work for long long hours can do it happily.

Cons

In engineering team, the company has too many directors and managers. Currently, there is a government job like culture, introduced by some directors. There are multiple manual QA teams and they do not understand software concepts. I can't think of any fast growing company in the silicon valley that does manual QA these days.

The CEO compares MobileIron to game changing companies like Salesforce.com, splunk, FireEye - but they should also see if they are comparable in terms of engineering culture, teams, etc.

Apart from the engineering, the workplace is small for the entire engineering team. There is no true table and chair for everyone, noisy and difficult to get work done. Feel like I can work better remotely from home.

Advice to Management

Make it a flat team structure. Follow the lead set by other great companies in the valley in terms of engineering process.

reviews filtered by

Hardest and most rewarding job I've had in my career!

Current Employee - Sales in Happy Camp, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Happy Camp, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highest degree of integrity that this segment of the IT industry has to offer. MobileIron leadership and all employees want to do what is right for the customer and not pull a slide of hand over customer & prospects as we see a lot of the competitors do in this space. There are great and very smart people that work at MI and most everyone is here to help versus fulfill their own agenda. The politics at MI do not seem to match what I've seen at other valley companies. Also, the company is focused on delivering the most solid product that it can to the market.

Cons

Competing with the big boys now. Large established companies that have bought other EMM/MDM players have access to relationships that MI may not. Decisions can be made in favor of them based on an existing buying vehicle or costs for a competitor solution can be hidden in another product without MI being given a fair shake. Sometimes it feels like leadership either turns a blind eye or they're oblivious to how impactful this is to the efforts of MI employees when trying to win business. Lastly, as noted in "Pros" the company is focused on the delivering the most solid product. However, sometimes we cannot get out of our own way to deliver a need that's been voiced by customers, prospects and employees alike because we are focused on something else. Marketing... Seems to be an afterthought. Sometimes, we're a little too conservative of a company. Probably one of the most stressful jobs I've every had but as noted before it's also very rewarding but burnout could be a factor for many.

Advice to Management

Understand that top execs at prospects and customers alike have relationships with what are now very large and very well funded companies where that competition has long standing and established relationships. Need strategies from CORPORATE to help penetrate those layers. MUST SPEND MONEY ON MARKETING or spend money on marketing efforts that we can see. Need to get aggressive at build the brand recognition. In terms of product development, if we're resource constrained and can't deliver a check box feature that's in high demand due to that constraint, invest in bringing on other resources. Watch employee burnout. As noted, probably one of the most stressful jobs most of us have ever worked.

2. Fast paced, bright coworkers, great opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I have been working at MobileIron full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

MobileIron is a fast growing company in the valley and you get to work in the area of mobility, which is poised to truly transform the way we live in work over the next several years. The company has landed some seriously marquee customers (Barclays, Discovery Communications, Toyota) which means you get to work on complex, interesting, real world problems. Free food, drinks (adult and normal), flexible work schedules and strong ESPP program round out the employee benefits.

Cons

The company has not always been best at promoting from within. You need to be assertive with your management to move up in the organization, simply executing won't move you forward necessarily. Also, the facilities could use some freshening up, offices physically don't have the hip, fun atmosphere that other valley companies do and certainly don't match the excitement of the people working inside them.

MobileIron Response

Aug 14, 2014CEO

Thank you for you comments! Yes, we are definitely working on career progression plans for all employees. We want to absolutely recognize our star contributors to the Company's success.

The