Mobiquity

www.mobiquityinc.com
  www.mobiquityinc.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mobiquity

Smart people, dynamic, exponential growth, put on your seatbelt!"

Current Employee - Employee in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Mobiquity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is a great company in the Enterprise Mobile Strategy sector, with any start-up it has it's hiccups but overall great opportunity for someone sharp and hardworking to contribute. Management recognizes talent and appreciates people that go with the flow of a start-up.

I've worked both in start-ups in the past and Fortune 500, and this company feels like a start-up who is beginning to build structure but allows many freedoms of a start-up.

Cons

This is not the environment for those coming in expecting a "what has Mobiquity done for me," approach.

If you are a 9 am - 5 pm person and like to leave at 2 pm on Fridays this place is not for you. There is a good work and life balance but know you will work hard, most permanent employees are also stakeholders Iin company.

THIS IS A COMPANY FOR PEOPLE THAT WANT TO WORK HARD AND CONTRIBUTE NOT THE OPPOSITE!

Continue building out the company and implementing the systems needed to be effecient. Being a former business owner myself, your continued cost conscious ways (not cheap), is greatly appreciated because I know you are creating a long financial "runway" for Mobiquity to take flight.

39 Other Employee Reviews for Mobiquity (View Most Recent)

not the happiest nor safest place for senior technology people to be

Former Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Mobiquity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Formed by former management consultants, this is not an engineering-driven company but more a frentic "deliver products as quickly and as cheaply as possible to make the stakeholders as much profit as possible" company. Mobiquity's competition is not other software companies, but other consulting firms that offer mobile engineering as part of their services (e.g. Accenture).

For a boutique agency, there are a lot of well known and 5 star brands you might end up being assigned to work on (i.e. great for your portfolio). The salespeople are certainly working hard to shake hands, sign contracts and get work "booked".

There's quite a diversity of project with different things to do and to challenge yourself with

If you're some distance from the office (or even in another state), the company is very liberal in letting employees work from home. Some folks work from home offices 100% of the time. If you're on-site, the new office is pretty nice (the building is even equipped with a fitness center of sorts).

You have a full team of co-workers to work with (architects, developers, QA, project manager, etc.), which will give you a good feel for a larger corporation's software development environment. You'll also get experience on some of the same tools (or types of tools) that the big corporations use, like Jira and GitHub. Your direct peers are likely to be very friendly & accommodating (being stuck in the same lifeboat here, after all), and I made a few contacts who I'm hoping to continue to know and work with again throughout my career (alas, I only wish I could say the same for management).

If you're new to mobile engineering and if it's still being offered, their "Mobiquity Academy" will give an entry level developer very marketable experience and awesome bullet points for your resume which will help you to job jump when you are ready. And it's a bonus to get paid to learn (ala, an "apprenticeship") versus the other way around (having to pay to learn in a classroom or some online course). They also sponsored a weekend "hackathon" which I thought was a cute idea.

Their payroll / HR bureaucracy is all done online and provided by a third party service provider, which turns out to be surprisingly good & thorough for a start-up. For example, Mobiquity (or, actually the provider) can offer goodies like pre-tax transit benefits in regions where you can take advantage of this.

Cons

For their 401K plan, there's zero employer contribution (no matching) and employee (i.e. you) have to pay about $80 per month as a maintenance fee just to have the retirement account.

When I asked to be able to try working on different technology than my own specialty, I was flatly turned down -- Mobiquity has little to zero interest in employee development.

While the company is officially a 40-hour-per-week outfit, some weeks you might get surprised when a schizophrenic Project Manager unexpectedly asks (i.e. requires) that more than 50 hours per week be put in on a particular project, and then other weeks you might get strictly limited to working a certain amount of hours (less than or exactly) 40 hours, because they're running out of allowable time that can be billed to that project. Of course if you work more than 40 hours per week, there will be absolutely no talk of OT or comp time for these "contributions". Even after shipping a couple successful releases, I never ended up getting to see what an actual bonus looked like.

To hire on, you must sign an agreement that states any & all of your ideas going forward belong to Mobiquity, and that you can't do any external work (or even create & sell apps via your own personal business) outside of Mobiquity. This is something that may be appropriate with Google & Apple-employed (iOS, Android) engineers in Silicon Valley (who have "inside" information on the workings of the OS), but utterly inappropriate with smaller companies like Mobiquity (who should realize that developers who can find a wee bit of time to do things on the side may end up picking up additional useful expertise that makes them even more valuable to Mobiquity in the long run). If you depart involuntarily and you're offered a small severance payment, you'll have to sign another agreement that states you will not "disparage" the company.

Employee turnover is ghastly here: there was one larger layoff and plenty of unexpected jettisons (i.e. single, targeted terminations of productive, talented & utterly agreeable developers & QA people) during my tenure at the company. And that's not counting a raft of great engineers and PM's who simply got fed up and moved on. As an employee I never ever felt safe or secure.

In my time at Mobiquity, I was never allowed to travel or interact extensively with the end users or clients, which was a jarring difference from the other roles and jobs I've worked at over the years. This may have something to do with that if the clients actually became aware of the chronic resource (employee) churn, this would definitely not help Mobiquity's sales numbers.

Now while I think Mobiquity might be great for junior developers (or "Freshers", in off-shore speak) to pick up invaluable real-world experience, things here are a lot more scary for very experienced, senior developers & QA people. The company is doing their level headed best to migrate as much work off-shore (i.e. low cost engineering in Costa Rica) as possible. Summed up, Mobiquity is not a place to last for the long term.

The company's culture should do a 180 degree turn away from being a high pressure management-consulting-style sales-oriented company and instead become a product and engineering focused company, with talent that is given the ability & freedom to feel secure, thrive and truly focus on shipping the best deliverables possible to appreciative clients which should generate repeat, inherently profitable business (instead of motivating those clients towards taking their mobile development "in-house").

Lots of potential, but management/politics are a nightmare

Former Employee - User Experience Architect in Wellesley, MA
    Former Employee - User Experience Architect in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Mobiquity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Work on short-term, impressive-sounding projects. Get in-depth experience in a variety of industries quickly, make apps, ship them off, add another bullet point to your resume. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    - Lots of impressive names in upper management, opportunity to work with fantastic people.

Cons

- Like other reviewers have said, they expanded too quickly in the beginning, with little thought into how all the employees would be used, or even where they'd sit.
    - Often felt lost, unsure of what my next project would be, or what my role was.
    - Felt like there was little room for promotion, lots of impressive names often come with lots of egos, and politics were often weird.

There are newer employer reviews for Mobiquity