There are newer employer reviews for ModCloth

A company with amazing potential; but absent leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ModCloth full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The open PTO policy and flexible work from home are great. It makes it really easy to schedule doctor and dentist appointments; or if you're expecting a repair person or out-of-town guest. The discount is amazing, and you'll quickly find yourself with a whole new wardrobe. The wonderful product selection and mission statement make Modcloth a brand that you feel proud to be part of. All of the individual contributors are really nice and talented people.

Cons

Poor Compensation: The salaries are below market, there are no bonuses and the "raises" are a joke. Management claims the salaries are "merit based", but overwhelmingly positive performance reviews are not rewarded. Additionally there is no room for negotiation. No 401k matching Ineffective Leadership & Operations: The management at Modcloth is very inexperienced, and lack a of vision for the future of the company. When we used to have a roadmap it was always changing. Now there is no roadmap, and you never know what will happen next. It has really killed the passion of the talented employees here. Why pour your passion and talent into a project if it might just get killed on management's whim? There's also been a sudden lack of transparency into the health of the organization. In the past the CEO would answer questions during all-hands meetings. Now we are sent a Google Doc full of non-answers. Office Politics: Political divisions within the office mean that if you don't make friends with the right people you might find yourself caught in the crossfire. (Operations will tell you that the ongoing harassment you face is just a "miscommunication") Managers always make sure that their BFFs are taken care of, regardless of experience or expertise. No Career Growth Opportunities: There isn't really any room to grow in your role; and it's rare that anyone can make a lateral move into another field. As a creative person it's easy to feel stifled when you're pigeonholed into a single role.

Advice to Management

Modcloth *desperately* needs leaders with experience and a vision for the future. Right now it feels like no one is steering the ship, and it's really negatively impacting employee morale and passion. It's really difficult because Modcloth used to be such an amazing place to work. Please find us good leadership so we can get out of this rut and back to focusing on our girl!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great culture, but missing typical tech perks

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at ModCloth full-time

Pros

-Office culture is great: colleagues are friendly and respectful -Still lots of low-hanging-fruit challenges to be solved -Can't beat a dog friendly office

Cons

-Creativity is somewhat stifled because day-to-day work is not always tackled efficiently (leaving little time for an employee to go over and beyond) -Missing nearly all of the standard tech industry perks: NO lunch, NO commute subsidies, NO bonuses, NO 401k matching - ModCloth constantly pumps the "better than average" healthcare and equity, but these are truly no better than at other companies and do NOT make up for the missing perks. -Execs are all clearly smart people, but at times they do not all seem to be aligned with one another

Advice to Management

By not offering the standard perks every other tech company of your size offers (see "Cons"), you are undervaluing your employees. It is as if you do not care to expend the extra dollars to show your employees that you value them as much as other companies. If you CANNOT offer these perks due to money trouble, I would rather know that and be able to choose whether I want to work for a floundering business or not. There is a good chance I would choose to stay as the equity that you offer would mean THAT much more if I stuck it out and MC was successful!

Favoritism will be the death of this company.

Current Employee - Customer Care in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at ModCloth part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-The discount is fantastic at 63%, but the clothes, and products itself are most likely not even worth it. - The benefits are super spectacular. - It is a very laid back company. Couches everywhere with employees on their MacBooks, you can bring your dog to work, hang out in the cafe upstairs and enjoy the free coffee (sadly, they took the free snacks away) - There is absolutely no dress code enforced. Welcoming tattoos, piercings, and I've seen people walk in with what looks like to be their pj's. - Events. Things like Wowza Wednesday, fun little events they throw. Also having some sort of food truck to support local businesses. You can a few beers on the job (as long as you don't use machinery) - If you are favorited, luckily career development will be a breeze for you! - CEO Eric is amazing. He's enjoyable to speak with, and every time you get to talk to him he will remember your name or bring up something that you mentioned the last time. He is a super down to earth guy, and you can tell he is extremely honest and truthful

Cons

-Favoritism is an all high. For example: I have a friend who works in the warehouse with a MASTERS in English that was turned down for the position to be a writer, because they ended up going with an inexperienced friend. Everyone is nice, and the young enthusiastic attitudes almost make it impossible to be in a bad mood, but the fake smiles from everyone is almost uncomfortable. There is policies that I see being enforced clearly on the employees that management has beef with or just frankly does not like, but then the employees that they're BFF's with could get away with murder. -vacation time/ referral bonuses. You would think this would be a good thing, right? Well just in case you end up leaving the company, or the company terminates you say goodbye to all your hard earned vacation pay that was allocated to you, and your referral bonuses. (makes TOTAL sense, ModCloth) - CEO Susan seem way out of her league. She has great intentions, want the employees to be happy, and I appreciate that. Though she will never take any advice from anyone, and she just need to grow up, and hire management that can help her. - The pay is not bad. It's definitely not good though.

Advice to Management

Hire people that deserve to work here, and not your friend from high school or a previous coworker at another job. I have seen way too many amazing employees get let go, or quit due to this, and it really puts a damper on a company that you want so hard to believe in.