There are newer employer reviews for Model N

very political and lack of support from old timers

Current Employee - Consulting in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Consulting in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Model N full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

dynamic environment but a niche company

Cons

- very old school mentality
- over commitment of resources
- high pressure without the support for new comers
- lack of structure
- can get political

103 Other Employee Reviews for Model N (View Most Recent)

Amazing company to work for

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Model N

Pros

Leader in it's niche
    Exposure to fortune 500 companies
    Full visibility into the company's financial performance
    Shares
    Fantastic staff
    Must be a team payer

Cons

Understaffing
    Long hours
    Not enough women in managerial positions

More females should be incorporated in leading / management positions

Mixed Experience, Good Environment for Growth, Low Compensation

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

I worked at Model N

Pros

Model N's work has a clear purpose. My manager was flexible about my hours and vacation time. I did not encounter issues with office politics or favoritism. Model N is more willing than most employers to sponsor foreign workers who need H-1B visas or other sponsorship. (Perhaps as a result, the workforce is more diverse and international than in the average company, with a particular focus on workers from India, where Model N has an office.) The Redwood City offices are modern and clean, with good facilities and computers. The company is profitable.

Cons

My salary was lower than I would have received at other tech companies in the area. Benefits are just the basics, like health insurance (e.g. not like Google, with free meals, the ability to take your dog to work, etc.) Model N's financials were poorly documented in its early years, resulting in long and difficult audits. Management has been promising an IPO since at least 2006, but it never comes. (At one point, they almost had it, then called it off when the economy turned bad.) There have been large layoffs in the past, correlated with bad economic times (the tech bubble burst, etc.).

I appreciate that you've built a company that provides livelihoods for many people, and also eases the logistical burden of pharma and semiconductor companies in managing their revenue. You're doing good work. To take it to the next level, I'd recommend three things. (1) Try to ensure there are no future layoffs due to the economy by prioritizing employee retention and hiring above other expenses. (2) If possible, consider offering some inexpensive extra benefits for employees, like the ability to bring dogs to work. (3) Keep growing. There are many large companies with complex revenue issues, and you could expand past the pharma and semiconductor industries. Doing less customization of the software on a per-client basis may make it easier to scale up.

There are newer employer reviews for Model N