Modern Woodmen

www.modern-woodmen.org
There are newer employer reviews for Modern Woodmen

Good pay but poor training.

Former Employee - Sales
Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Good compensation when a sale was complete. Good benefits package once probationary period is up, and if you can make a career out of it the retirement pension is very good.

Cons

Extremely slow to ever recieve first pay check (I went about 3 months), management is often involved in their own sales so they dont have a lot of time to sit with new representatives and teach them how to sell themselves.

42 Other Employee Reviews for Modern Woodmen (View Most Recent)

Great Career

I have been working at Modern Woodmen

Pros

Unlimited growth opportunity, great benefit package.

Cons

You need to be very good at time management.

The sky is the limit

The best job and most fulfilling experience I have ever had

Current Employee - Financial Representative in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Financial Representative in Cary, NC

I have been working at Modern Woodmen full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My favorite parts of working for Modern Woodmen are:
    1. Working with people and helping others
    2. Education: Modern Woodmen pays and encourages continuing education and training, monthly, quarterly and annually to enable the sky as the limit as far as your financial education and practices go.
    3. Flexibility: I am an entrepreneur and business consultant. I run a start-up, consult other business owners and entrepreneurs and it all rolls into my practice with Modern Woodmen. I am able to run my start-up, help others with their business practices, while at the same time, assisting them as clients with growing, protecting and properly planning their personal, family and business goals.

Cons

The only two cons I have seen at Modern Woodmen is:
    1. Not having a base salary. There is a $2,000 draw that you are eligible for, where you can receive $500 every Friday to keep you rolling. This is credited to your account and as you close sales, your commissions will repay the draw.
    2.BDA (Business Development Allowance): Your first 2 years you are eligible for BDA Bonuses, but they are capped out at $2,000 per month. They are 50% of your commissions, so, for example, if you do $10,000 in sales in one month, you will receive $5,000 in commissions. The BDA will give you 50% of your commissions, in this case $2,500 would be your BDA for that month. Since the BDA caps at $2,000 per month, your $2,500 BDA this month will only pay $2,000, the other $500 will roll over to the following month. The following month, you will receive the $500 BDA. Now, if you continue to hit over the $2,000 BDA every month, then it will keep rolling over. This is a good problem to have, but on the con side, if you make $20,000 in one month, you will not receive all of your bonus credit that month. On the bright side, this can be used sort of as a "Paid vacation" where if you have BDA rolling over every month, you can take a month or two off and still receive your $2,000 BDA that have been rolling over every month.

Set up a draw for new agents early on. Having access to capital will make agents more mobile and more confident. Since it takes a few months to settle into this new, amazing, career - having access to this capital without worry will lower stress and make the transition easy, showing higher results early on. I can not speak for all regions, but our region in Cary, NC has amazing company cultures. The company, as a whole, being Fraternal has amazing benefits and company culture. The Cary, NC, Doug Polk region has amazing management, company culture and open door policies that have allowed me to come in, get out of previous debt from a failed start-up and become the highest selling agent in the region, in just 3 months. In November, 2014, I received an award for the most business done in the nation. In August, 2014, when I entered, I was in debt $10,000 and had a rough start. They listened to me, put faith in me and gave me the resources and confidence I needed to now be the highest selling agent in the nation for the entire company, last month. This month, my numbers are even higher and we still have one week left. I hope to accomplish this award every month, but so far, I know I will have it at least 2 months in a row and that is greatly related to the training and values I have learned from our management team. This is my dream career and I will be doing this for the rest of my life, I know that because I love the job and the people. I know I will be happy here for a very long time and I trust my family and friends to be invested in this company, as well.

There are newer employer reviews for Modern Woodmen