Moffitt Cancer Center

www.moffitt.org
There are newer employer reviews for Moffitt Cancer Center

Enjoy opportunity to work from home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Moffitt allows for flex scheduling, working from home, etc. Although benefits have decreased, they are good in comparison to other healthcare systems.

Cons

Non clinical departments work in silos. Employees often struggle to work on multidepartment teams. Communication from leadership is slow. Employees often find out news about company thorugh reading outside publications

Communicate with employees regarding company changes before sending announcements to the media.

70 Other Employee Reviews for Moffitt Cancer Center (View Most Recent)

Heavy on process; disorganized and dishonest management

Current Employee - Developer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Developer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Moffitt Cancer Center full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent flexible work arrangement possibilities for some IT staff--work from home one or more days per week, or have a compressed work week (i.e. work more hours a few days per week or pay period and have one weekday per week or pay period off).

Very good pay for certain positions.

Fairly generous time-off accrual and a PTO 'cash-in' option mean one rarely can't take time off or benefit financially from not taking time off.

The environment is fairly casual with respect to expectations. Anybody with any competence is very likely to find it easy to appear much more capable than his co-workers (but: see the 'con' re: tolerance of inferior performance for why).

Cons

The benefits package underwent a huge downward 'adjustment' in the 2012/2013 year; I would rate them at well below average

Communication from the executive level down to the lowest supervisor is painfully absent. Frequently direct supervisors and their immediate supervisors provide conflicting information regarding policies or new initiatives.

Within my department it is clear that the managers and their director are frequently on completely separate pages. I have been told two different things by my supervisor and his boss on more than one occasion. It is also very clear that my immediate supervisor, his peers and their boss do not have a unified direction in mind for the department. There is nothing that binds our teams together, or even that binds the individuals on my team, to work toward a common goal, so I often find myself wondering why we're organized the way we are. I work directly with individuals in other teams and departments, and it seems this isn't just my department.

There is a high tolerance for continued inferior performance and competence among management and non-management alike. I often find myself thinking it's subconsciously deliberate so that an environment of expected mediocrity is the norm: that's demoralizing. Compounding this is a glib and ready hand to hint at the prospect for promotion, but it always seems to be "6 to 8 months" down the road.

Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate I in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Tampa, FL

I worked at Moffitt Cancer Center part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful Cause, Wonderful culture and traditions.Cohesive staff.

Cons

Faculty plays favorites and doesn't provide as many opportunities as possible for learning

Focus on increasing diversity.

There are newer employer reviews for Moffitt Cancer Center