There are newer employer reviews for Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority

Employees come first...most of the time

Current Employee - Shift Manager in Uncasville, CT
Current Employee - Shift Manager in Uncasville, CT

I have been working at Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority

Pros

In my experience, Mohegan Sun recognizes hard work and talent and is wiling to reward it. Despite a difficult economy, the company is standing by its employees and doing everything it can to avoid a layoff. Communication has been open and honest.

Cons

Two words...Tribal Preference. While Mohegan Sun claims to be an equal opportunity employer, if you are native american, you will receive preference for promotions. This even applies to shift bids. You can wait 3 years for a shift to open up and if someone new to the department is native american, they can take the shift before you. It is something you come to accept. It is like working for a big family business. I have personally not had any problems with the system, but have seen many situations where morale was negatively impacted.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating with the employees. It makes them feel they are not just a number, but an important part of the company's success.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Nice place to work, advancement opportunities limited

Current Employee - Table Games Floor Supervisor in Uncasville, CT
    Current Employee - Table Games Floor Supervisor in Uncasville, CT

I have been working at Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority

Pros

Mohegan offers a decent salary for many positions, and excellent benefits for full-time employees, including BC/BS health insurance, a full-service 'employees only' cafeteria (paid for by the employer) which is open 24/7, a 401(k) with 100% match on the first 3%, three weeks of paid vacation from year one and four weeks after five years of service, on-site day care, full service banking, fitness center, doctor's office, dry cleaner, travel agency, and Dunkin' Donuts. Uniformed employees are provided with uniforms, and, in many cases, the cleaning is done by the Sun. There are employee trips monthly, to events ranging from Broadway shows to NASCAR races. The atmosphere at work is generally positive, and people seem to go out of their way to be courteous to their co-workers.

Cons

As in many large organizations, communication is terrible, with middle and upper management seemingly unapproachable by front line workers. Also, there are no standards that are enforced with any regularity, be they standards on the gaming floor or standards in the 'back of the house.' Favoritism runs rampant, in the way schedules and assignments are developed, and in the way employee discipline is meted out. Mohegan operates on a 'points' system--9 'points' and you are terminated. I have known of two employees who received 9 'points' and both were allowed to continue to work, because there had been an 'oversight' and they had not received a 'Final Written Warning.' I know of other people who have been dismissed for one minor occurrence. Mohegan claims, as one of their four Core Principles, that they strive to develop passionate and dedicated employees. Such cavalier application of standards does more to foster ill will amongst employees than all of the goodwill developed by all of the benefits offered.

Advice to Management

I would advise Senior Management that they have talked the talk, and it is time to walk the walk. Be open to discussions with front line personnel. They are a much better resource than all of the marketing studies you do on a weekly basis. Before undertaking a $900 million expansion, I would want to make sure I am getting the most out of the resources currently at my disposal. The best way to do this is to solicit ideas (and not just put up a suggestion box), and actually listen. Customers will tell you what they want, if you are wise enough to listen. And the people who are in the best position to listen are your front line workers. I have never had a senior manager, or even a middle manager, ask me what the customers are asking for on the gaming floor. Management is resting on its laurels, and is not willing to correct mistakes or to try new ideas. In a year of shrinking revenue, I suggest that it will pay dividends to be open to change. Just because something worked in the past doesn't mean it will work today, and just because it didn't work in the past doesn't mean it won't work today. In essence, you need to be responsive to the marketplace, and the marketplace is constantly evolving.

2. "Okay" company to work for.

I worked at Mohegan Tribal Gaming Authority full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, including free generic prescriptions. Modern, clean environment. Upbeat, lively atmosphere. Free parking. Free meals on duty. Some tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Very hard to get a full-time position. 24/7 business, so therefore employees are usually required to work nights, week-ends, and holidays (Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Eve, etc.). Very little loyalty to employees. Recent company-wide layoffs included many people with exemplary work records, but not enough seniority in their current position. (Basically, fired because they got promoted).

Advice to Management

Make a point of actually knowing your staff.