Mom365

www.mom365.com
  www.mom365.com
There are newer employer reviews for Mom365

demanding and difficult but nice people

I have been working at Mom365 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good culture and supportive upper management...very pro women

Cons

much too much work...they expect a person to be on call 24/7

117 Other Employee Reviews for Mom365 (View Most Recent)

The bad outweighs the good

Current Employee - PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER
    Current Employee - PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER

I have been working at Mom365 part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Getting to photograph babies is amazing! They're so cute and sweet and it's a privilege to be able to photograph some of their first moments in life. Yes, some cry and won't calm down but I'm very patient and this never bothers me.

Cons

MANY:

I was told upfront that this job "would not pay my bills" but I didn't realize how true those words would be. I was told that we would make a commission if we reached a certain sales goal - was never told what that goal was - and if you didn't meet it you would be paid a "fallback rate" of minimum wage. I was told my hospital is a low birth rate hospital but wasn't afraid of not making any money. I should have been.

Some days I go in and there are no new moms to take pictures for or the ones that are there were taken care of on the previous day by another OUR365 photographer. Not making any sales these days obviously does not help me to meet any sales goals and it essentially means I won't get paid squat because I won't be there very long. I made about $3 that day. I was told by my manager that they would try to get it to where we would make at least $25 for coming to work + whatever we made in the room from sales. When I asked about it the response was I'll check on that for us followed by 2 question marks. What?!

One day I went in and was assigned 4 moms - yay! 1 declined photos, 1 didn't want her baby's pictures taken yet because the baby had an IV in, 1 wanted to wait until the next day for pictures, and the 4th mom, whose session I actually got to complete, decided that they would speak to their family about what package they wanted to order and would order online later. The 2 rollovers would have been fine if I had been working the next day but I wasn't. When I told the other photographer about the 2 rollovers she said those were sales opportunities she would encourage me to take advantage of. There's not much you can say to a (NEW) mom who doesn't want pictures taken because her baby has an IV in!

I've been informing my supervisor of the days when I haven't had sales and voiced my frustration at not making any money. I now how to drive to another hospital for more training to "tweak" my skills and was told I need to work on taking control in the room. I guess I'm not pushy enough for them and I refuse to be.

We've been told to only be in rooms for 30 minutes and that it's a complaint from the hospitals in our area that we're taking too long with the moms. Not only are we supposed to push sales on moms who have just had babies but we are now supposed to rush them.

We had a $5 8x10 that we were supposed to offer to moms who declined photos and this was the tool we were supposed to use to get into the room to get the photos done. This was taken away from us because it was lowering our average order value. It was brought back because the number of sales being made was falling (shocking) and we've been told to use it when the mom will not buy anything or when giving her a cash on delivery option doesn't work. We are always being pushed to take control of the room.

I was surprised and happy to see that insurance is offered but it's a joke and barely covers anything. I'd rather save the money I actually get from working than waste it on terrible insurance.

If you just need some spending money this job is fine but if you're trying to make a living like me (I work a 2nd job as well) then it's not for you, especially if you don't have a lot of babies (OR ANY) to photograph day after day.

This company has a VERY high turnover rate and I know why it does now.

Pay the employees SOMETHING for their time, effort, and gas used to go to work at low birth rate hospitals.

This company has a very high employee turn-over rate for many reasons.

I have been working at Mom365 as a contractor

Pros

I like most co-workers, the families and hospital staff are generally nice. Taking photos and making families happy is rewarding. I like what I do, but not how the company treats its employees.

Cons

No one doing in-hospital newborn photos makes $20, $40 or $50 per hour. We were told we could make this much during our hiring process, but no Our365 newborn photographer makes that amount. After working in the field with actual Our365 photographers (where we make high sales and low wages) I know not to believe forums (even this one), managers, and recruiters stories of fictional photographers who make big bucks. It won't "click" in time, I work with some very seasoned veterans who make high sales and low wages. Your wages will be low. My team makes minimum wage or slightly above and we have the highest sales in our region, so if our wages are low, everyone else's are as well. The company has calculated how to get the most money out of you by keeping your commission slightly out-of-reach. Even if you make your commission, you will not make very much hourly. On those days when your sales are high, that's usually because you worked a ridiculously long day, which means your hours end up exceeding your commission percentage, so you'll earn the fallback rate which is usually minimum wage. The company operates on an "either you get your base pay (min. wage) or your percentage of sales. This might be okay if your base pay and commission percentage wasn't so pitifully low. They are about the bottom line--making money as cheaply as possible through ill-paid labor.

This company's mission appears to be to tug on mom's heart strings during a time when she is very vulnerable. We are encouraged to heavily push in-hospital sales, even when some Mom's are low-income and can't afford to purchase at that time. We should be respectful and allow her to take time to make her decision at a time that works best for her. The management tells us to push these sales so that we can make our commission (though they are likely getting some sort of bonus from our sales, which is why they tell us to push so often). If the economy wasn't so bad, this company's turnover rate would probably be even higher. If you want to retain quality photographers, you must pay us decently.

You are expected to be available to work ALL holidays and don't even get great holiday pay (hence the name our365). It's capitalism at its worst. Corporate greed over family=profits at any cost. It's insulting. I'd rather have the time off.

"Loving your job" is great. But loving a job doesn't pay the bills. We need to make a living wage. Take a good long look at how many of your staff are dissatisfied and actually listen to staff to see where and how improvements can be made. Most of your employees are women and we feel economically taken advantage of. Pay us a decent hourly base wage instead of offering bogus contests and incentives. If you pay us what we are worth, the company's sales will increase b/c we will be more motivated since we are earning what we deserve. This could be a great company, but unfortunately they have put profits over people.

Most of us have to work more than one job to make ends meet or depend on someone else's wages, but not all of us have the luxury of a strong second income. The wages through Our365 isn't enough to pay our bills, not by a long shot. Also, you will be hired as an at-will employee, which equates to expendable contract labor. You will not have any type of job security. Unfortunately, this is a growing trend in the U.S. We are doing a huge disservice to our citizens with this type of trend. We are the richest country in the world and yet our healthcare system ranks 37th in the world (at the time of this posting), which is awful. More and more companies are hiring contract and part-time labor and not offering decent benefits or job security.

I'm wondering if and when changes will be made. How many times must you hear the same complaints? If you keep dismissing the core of your company you will continue wasting effort, money, and time scouting for new hires who will soon quit like so many people before them.

There are newer employer reviews for Mom365