Moma

Like joining the priesthood

Former Employee - Curatorial Assistant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Curatorial Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at Moma

Pros

The prestige is, of course, enormous. Go to a cocktail party and say you work at MoMA and all of a sudden the room lights up. In the curatorial department, you'll meet everyone - or at least you'll be near everyone; you might not get to talk to anyone at all if you don't throw some elbows.

Cons

Neurotic in the extreme. Colleague approach their work with the intensity of bankers but with none of the salaries. Too big and too small at the same time - communication is poor, and there's no real opportunity for advancement. Punishingly low salaries, of course, but no worse than anywhere else in the New York art world.

Listen to your younger staff. We're smarter than you give us credit for, and if you gave us a bit more leeway you'd find we can thrive.

19 Other Employee Reviews for Moma (View Most Recent)

Come for the art, stay for the coworkers

I worked at Moma full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding exhibitions and programs, the best collection in the world, really awesome coworkers. Other museums pale in comparison. I was lucky to have several positions over the years (though that isn't always the case).

Cons

Staff can be overloaded with work. Promotions aren't handled fairly. Inept managers have a deathgrip on their jobs.

Pay attention to the details, and try to show that you value the lower-level staff.

Great co-workers but low paid

I worked at Moma as a contractor

Pros

Great people, good perks like free tickets to New York museums and discounts in MoMA stores

Cons

Low salary, hard to move up

There are newer employer reviews for Moma