Okay

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Benefits, people, and pay is better than average.

Cons

Micromanagement, compensation, and lack of promotions.

Advice to Management

Change what you are hiring in a supervisor/management role. Loose the micromanagement style, it NEVER works. Hire more people-everyone is overworked and underpaid. Stop taking away incentives to work there like vacation days. Who cares where we are compared to other companies. Ask where we can be for the current employees.

reviews filtered by
  1. Secrecy overwhelms good sense

Current Employee - Training
    Current Employee - Training

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

Some good, a few great, managers. Some really great co-workers. Some opportunity to move up, some really smart people found in odd corners of company.

Cons

Everything is a secret. Too many decisions made in vacuum without input from folks with useful information because of the secrecy. Rush decision. Favoritism not skill too often behind hiring in senior levels. Too many opportunities only in Dallas. So if you live in Dallas, great, but if not, many key jobs being moved there, and not as much interesting work left in Denver or Minn. The secrecy issues cannot be overstated. Communication between global divisions, is improving, but it's not enough yet

Advice to Management

Be more open. More communication, not less, about decisions both made and in negotiations. Also, do we really need that many senior managers? We lay off the folks at the bottom of the totem pole, and hire at the top, but haven't seen any real improvements in strategy or performance that justify the huge upper management hires in Dallas.

A company in transition

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at MoneyGram International

Pros

MoneyGram is a company in transition emerging from years of recapitalization due to poor investments and a bad economy. Long term outlook is positive

Cons

Company is positioning itself for potential acquisition