MongoDB

www.mongodb.com
There are newer employer reviews for MongoDB

Be wary of MongoDB

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast growing space. Several fast growing companies in this space.

Cons

* CEO and other C level people have their inner circle of people from past lives. If you are one of them you will be taken care of. If you are not you will be under-compensated and under-appreciated.

** The company hires mostly straight out of college grads with very little other work experience. The company does a great job of "internal branding and marketing" and creating hype giving the illusion of a great company. If you dig a little deeper you will find the hype that is portrayed is not reality.

69 Other Employee Reviews for MongoDB (View Most Recent)

Join MongoDB, You will love it!!!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Outstanding technology
    Extremely bright co-workers
    Fast growing company
    Customers love the product.
    The vast majority of your colleagues are fun

Cons

All senior leadership positions are filled with outsiders.
    Opportunities for advancement are null. One person is promoted to manager for every 20 senior VP positions with folks from MarkLogic.
    Some egos are a little bit "too" big.

Your assumption that all "early" day employees do not know how to work in a "big" company is wrong.
    People were here early because they believed in the message, the company and the people, not because they could not get a job at IBM.

MongoDB THE place to be... hehe that rhymes.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MongoDB full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Where to begin... This is the culture for people who want to experience the upside of being in a start up without the concern for its future. Everyone here is technical, and I can have enthused discussions about technology with every level of this company. When the product you are building has engineers in mind, so too does the management.

Saw a recent post about the CTO. In his defense I don't feel anything "cult like" here whatsoever. I challenge anyone to find a guy who is more approachable and involved in the company on so many levels. His vision of what should be done is an informed one, and more importantly it is one that shows real passion, he is at a desk coding with everyone else, not in a corner office glad handing. Personally, I appreciate that.

I've never experienced a work environment that dealt with assimilation of new hires as seamlessly as MongoDB. I felt welcomed right away.

Biggest Pro: The people here. "Word Class" just doesn't quite cover it.

Cons

Like every company, MongoDB has some growing pains. It is a company growing extremely quickly and this sometimes means directional changes that can feel jarring or frustrating to employees. I experienced a bit of this myself. However, these changes are typically very transparent and seem to gravitate around a general theme of what is best for the employees and the future of this company. Having said that, I would not trade this occasional feeling for a larger environment with a less exciting trajectory.

Some personal touches with the employees could go a long way. We are a company asking a lot of people, sometimes a light personal touch can mean the difference between a happy employee vs a disenfranchised one. Remember, that this accelerated growth is new to many of us. I believe in what we are accomplishing, and we are all working towards the same goal, lets stay in touch with the elements of our culture which made us this successful in the first place.

There are newer employer reviews for MongoDB