Monroe College

www.monroecollege.edu

Promises Promises

Director (Former Employee) New Rochelle, NY

ProsThey have great athletic and culinary programs. They pay a little more than other comparable schools . Great 401k benefits and health savings accounts. Fridays are half day. They offer employees the option to take their courses free of charge. A lot of country club events (required to attend) but also nice . They provide students who otherwise couldn't access higher education (because of grades, financial constraints, undocumented or illegal immigrants , and those with felony or criminal history ) the opportunity to attend college.

ConsThey overwork you, expect you to work weekends, evenings, and early mornings . Your also required to attend the mojority of sporting events (weekends and nights) along with working random weekends (with very little notice) as well as 1 late night a week until 730pm. You must be in by 830 am and they take attendance and record the exact minute you arrive (even if you worked late or weekends when not required). Upper management is threatening , intimidating, and overall unprofessional. Everything is last minute, and backwards and as a result staff is forced to undo or re-do what has to be done or a project suffers because of time constraints. No opportunity for professional development. Those who have prior experience in higher ed or student affairs find the ability to implement change so difficult. The service, educational standards, housing facilities is substandard, and not cost effective.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to look at the financial impact of waiting last minute for everything. Your trying to save pennies but in the end I assure you that proper planning will pay off in the end. Look at your staff turnover and who resigned and quit- who were they ultimately reporting to? Provide more positive feedback and leadership development for staff.

I've gain a lot of skills

Office Assistant(Work Study) (Current Employee) Bronx, NY

I have been working at Monroe College

Pros: The work isn't overwhelming although we are working with hundreds… Cons: As a work study employee, it is hard to advance. Usually people don't leave Monroe, so… Advice to Senior Management: Find some managers who actually want to work. More

capricious managers who admit staff is 'one big family': You had better belong to that family

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Monroe College full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Pay rate is good, although they try to keep you at less than 30 hours so they don't have to provide benefits. Many students are… Cons: Some managers are certifiable (read that as you may). For example, if you miss one day, they put their face within 4 inches of yours… Advice to Senior Management: It is possible to take all of that FAFSA money and spend it on learning to keep tutors and teachers that… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Monroe College.

Worked for Monroe College? Contribute to the Community!