Good environment to work

Former Employee - Web Administrator Co-op  in  Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Web Administrator Co-op in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

People are friendly and help you to start with the job. Its a liberal environment to work at, without too many restrictions.

Cons

New ideas take much longer time to be implemented. frequent change in organization hierarchy and too many small teams that need a lot of collaboration.

Other Reviews for Monsanto Company

Interesting First Job

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company as an intern for less than a year

Pros

They have really nice facilities where I worked: gym, cafeteria, etc. Work I had was engaging and satisfying. A wide variety of facilities (labs, test farms, seed processing plants) nearby to tour.

Cons

Some of the old boys told me hiring and layoffs occur very cyclically. I saw a round of layoffs begin in the three months I was working

Not qualified to answer as I didn't work long enough to see the big picture

Company has some good people, but culture is force-fed to employees

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Monsanto Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Reasonably good pay and benefits
    Nice campus
    Company cares about workstation ergonomics

Cons

Culture of "safety is everything" is crammed down employees' throats, extending intrusively into personal lives (e.g., "Let me tell you how you should grill when you're at home")
    The review process (DPR), including incidental achievements, etc., has been elevated to a level where it is viewed as more important than getting one's job done
    Management stifles expression of any opinions contrary to theirs

The seed products are touted as the "Cadillac" in the industry. They are good, but are priced way too high. If the traits and yield are only 10% better than Pioneer's, then the seed should only be priced 10% higher. The company could perform better in the market if this strategy was realized.

Management needs to revamp the DPR process. It's fine to require employees to set some goals related to personal development, teaching, etc., but when EVERYTHING is based upon them (rankings, bonuses, consideration for staff reductions, etc), and nothing else matters, then it's gone too far. If you just spend most of your time politicking, dreaming up and giving little presentations, etc., even if your actual job performance is mediocre, you will do great at Monsanto. Everyone at the low-to-mid levels spends a ton of time during the last half of the year stressing over whether they'll "get their goals done". This can be verified by asking any former IT employee.

There are newer employer reviews for Monsanto Company.

Worked for Monsanto Company? Contribute to the Community!