There are newer employer reviews for Monster Worldwide

Recommended for entry-level salespeople in online media

Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Internet Recruitment Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Monster Worldwide

Pros

They are few and far between, but there are some talented, ethical professionals working for the company. If you are beginning a career in online media it might be a good place to start.

Cons

Bloated with unnecessary management roles and pervasive politics. The core-values are just a pretty picture on the lunch room wall. Widespread poaching of accounts by other reps of questional moral fiber. Manipulation of leads and account "books" by regional sales managers.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of holes in that sinking ship. You may be better served to plug them up with some of your unnecessary roles and return to your entrepreneurial roots or the continued market share loss to the likes of Craigslist and Twitter will help make that decision for you.

reviews filtered by

"I'm not going to search a resume to hire someone, I'm just going to hire someone I know " - Sal Iannuzzi

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maynard, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Maynard, MA

I worked at Monster Worldwide

Pros

Occasionally fed us free food. Willing to change your schedule to help accommodate life. Cared about the well being of their employees at that moment.

Cons

Raises where horrible no matter how well you preformed. To get anything done including your own job you have to jump through so many hoops, approvals, cross checks, different software screen, ect... just to get something very simple accomplished. Backend software is a joke, if anyone saw how complicated and mismatched the software to run the company was, no one would deal with Monster. Moving up in the company only goes so far, unless you've worked with Sal Iannuzzi before, they you get straight promoted to VP of (fill in the blank). When Sal said the quote I listed in the review headline I was floored that he just came out and said "I'm not going to use the product we sell to hire someone, I'm just going to network with people i know...." if thats the case, what does that say about the product?

Management does not communicate to one another, the company is not really one company, its 12 different silos all trying to compete with one another acerting their dominance as "the reason the company still stays afloat"

Most of the management is like dealing with high school drama, they do not see the big picture, they do not want to change anything, they just want to coast along their set path and when they do change something, its only to make them look good.

They say "we want to invest in your education and further career advancement" You can move about one level up from where you start and thats about it. After that, doesn't matter what you do, your not going anywhere.

Constantly want you to "prove your worth" to a point of obscurity, like how many hours and how much product do I need to be producing before I'm proving beyond my worth and you realize there is more work than one person can possibly do?

Advice to Management

The product needs to be rebuilt from square one. Not 10,000 different products and services that are pricey and don't work. Take a look at Craigs list, extremely simple product with great rewards, rethink the machine that drives the business. The product and services are too complicated and confusing to the customer. Invest in your employee's future.

2. The company was good before they were purchased by Monster.

Former Employee - Various in West Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Various in West Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Monster Worldwide

Pros

It is a great company if you are a college student needing flexibility. .

Cons

No long term career growth

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots. Get back the start-up atmosphere that was present before being purchased by the corporate Monster. This is why they are not thriving as they were in the late 90 and early 2k's. At one time they encouraged ideas and did much for their young bright employees. Now Monster underminds their creativity and simply keeps them to lock up the college market and make upsells to Monster.com.