Monterey Bay Aquarium

www.montereybayaquarium.org
  www.montereybayaquarium.org
There are newer employer reviews for Monterey Bay Aquarium

The aquarium is a great place to work, but not the best place for job growth. Don't expect much change if you get here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Monterey, CA

I have been working at Monterey Bay Aquarium

Pros

Has more available and better resources than other public aquariums. Isn't in debt like most other aquariums. Has ok health benefits, but still expensive if you have a family like everywhere else.
We do receive a yearly 3% raise for cost of living adjustment(for 2009 it was reduced to 2.5%), however this is hardly enough to keep up with inflation and the overall increase in expense of living in coastal California.

Cons

Management overall is lacking. People are never let go or fired that need to be. Some major decisions made about facility improvement/modification or exhibits are ill-informed and input by employees is not very sought after. You can discover a new species here and not even get a "thank you", "good job" or a good performance review. Performance reviews are vague, usually center on soft skill topics and do not result in a bonus or raise.
The aquarium has lost its "edge" over the years, each year we do another exhibit that has been done before, and waste lots of money doing so. Only one retirement option is provided, a 403(b) account. No golden handshakes, no health benefits after retirement.

Fix the performance evaluation system so that it is either more transparent or that people performing beyond expectations get something for it.
Stop telling us what we can't do, start telling us what we can do.
Listen to reason, be reasonable. Too often management gives in to unreasonable requests from other departments.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Monterey Bay Aquarium (View Most Recent)

Magical place to visit, working behind the curtain...not so magical

I worked at Monterey Bay Aquarium full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful area, stunning work and important research and advocacy being done, good benefits, free activities like parties and lunchtime trainer-led workouts, wonderful group of people to work with

Cons

Pay pretty low especially compared to cost-of-living in the area, not much room for advancement, they bring people in who have a passion for animals, oceans, and/or ocean conservation but don't reward for hard work and dedication

MBA security

I have been working at Monterey Bay Aquarium full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and team work environment.

Cons

Separation in senior leadership on operations side. leading to competing ideals two distinctive growth paths for the MBA.

Internal training for promotional potential. Hire and promote based on experience and proficiency not time accrued. Don't be afraid to let go of people who aren't pulling their weight or are bringing the team down.

There are newer employer reviews for Monterey Bay Aquarium