Mood Media

www.moodmedia.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Mood Media

Casual & fun environment, yet dominated from the top with small business practices

I worked at Mood Media

Pros

* Small business environment means you are not treated like a number. Everyone knows everyone, which tends to make things easier.
* Great office atmosphere - music always playing, colourful characters, casual dress code, great office location.
* There is scope for organisational development & change - you just need to know how to go about it!

Cons

* No employee benefits - you get your salary & super and that's it.
* No opportunity for flexible work options i.e work from home.
* Amateurs in terms of business process and policy - there are few documented processes, and guideline info / IP on how things work tends to reside with individual employees. High staff turnover with IP going out the door has certainly impacted the business.
* Details are often overlooked - i.e the attitude is let's just jump in and see what happens. This results in errors, multiple workload, and increases in costs if external agencies are involved. There is not a project approach to most things, meaning people who should have been involved from the beginning are brought in half way through and expected to work miracles to make it all happen.
* Environment & hierarchy can make you feel like you don't have a voice in terms of suggesting changes or a better way of doing things.
* Culture is very time focussed. If you start at a certain time, you finish at a certain time. Instead of being workload focussed where you might go home a bit early because you've finished everything for the day, you feel like you have to stay until your 7.5 hours are completed.
* Getting leave approved is like asking for a 100k pay rise. Annual leave is the right of every employee - the business will not fall apart (well, assuming there is sufficient support to maintain the workload - that's another story!)

* Learn that you hire people to do a job they are qualified for. Confidence in people builds competence.
* Implement better hiring strategies to get talented people into the business - makes point # 1 easier!
* MD is a bit of a control freak - he wants to be involved in a lot of decisions and will often make changes / offer input just for the sake of it. He forgets that others might be the expert - learn to take a back seat and trust the decisions your employees make! Culture also reflects this top heavy approach - if I had a dollar for every time someone has said "I'll just run it past xx" or "Has xx asked for this?"......

81 Other Employee Reviews for Mood Media (View Most Recent)

Tough couple of years. Major improvement in 2015!

Current Employee - Sales Account Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Account Coordinator in Austin, TX

I have been working at Mood Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very interesting products that touch lots of people every day. I've heard about partnerships with Pandora, Shazam, Spotify, but don't really know details. Management does seem to care about employees and moral, just doesn't do a good job communicating it. Kinda funny. Think that there is good career path here as they seem to need new talent. Sales people seem to get all of the attention. That's good if you are one.

Cons

2014 was tough based on computer system conversion to Oracle. Impacted lots of employees and clients. Still a challenge here and there, but much better now. Tough to merge the cultures of 2 company's that were such long time competitors (DMX and Muzak). Still some us vs. them mentality that runs along former company lines. Lots of senior leadership changes since I've been here that I think were linked to investors and financial matters. The current group seems to be stable now, but they don't tell people what's going on

Do a better job communicating with the employees in the various facilities in Austin. Be more transparent, good and bad. I hear good things when I actually poke around, but nobody knows about them. Employees need to know about what things mean to them, not to investors.

The experience was not to bad.

I worked at Mood Media

Pros

The hours were ok.I liked what I was doing installing sound systems ,satellite music,and drive thru ssystems.

Cons

Their was no communication in the management side of the company.The equipment was never shipped on time and the schedulers would you late for a job.

Sometimes it is better to have the internal tech to do the job instead of a subcontractor who might know what they are doing

There are newer employer reviews for Mood Media