There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

World class platform, some warts.

Former Employee - Investment Banking Associate  in  Menlo Park, CA
Former Employee - Investment Banking Associate in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

It is truly a world-class platform. My group was far and away the leading group in our field and so it was extremely rare that a deal would happen that we didn't know about or get invited to participate in. There's still BS pitching involved, but not nearly as much as at other banks. The only other group that even comes close is GS.

Cons

The marketing, recruiting, etc would all tell you that its much more of a meritocracy than our competitors. But the reality is that its a pretty political place, and dead wood and blowhards tend to find shelter for long periods of time (even in this market). In the Menlo tech office, there's a little known secret: as an associate you have to do 3 years before getting the chance to get promoted to VP. It's not Morgan Stanley practice. It's not even MS Tech (NYC doesn't do it). It's just the Menlo office. Although they sell it as being 'for your benefit' in terms of training and development, the reality is that it's to their benefit. Once you've passed the two year mark (when all your friends are either gone or will be promoted), you're stuck. You either work your guts out to guarantee you get promoted, or you're screwed because everyone else out there knows you should have been promoted.

Focus on developing your people more. Especially in a down market like this where there are fewer deals to be done, training and development are key.

1646 Other Employee Reviews for Morgan Stanley (View Most Recent)

Why work there?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

The name recognition, was a good shop to work at, now up against the ropes for survival

Cons

Back stabbing people. Lots of stress for very low pay.

You've made it, mentoring wouldn't hurt you.

msdw

Former Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Woodland Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

The company will give a lot of financial support. They will pay new advisors to train and obtain the licenses and pay for e&O ...etc

Cons

no formal training. no go to person for questions. you are completely on your own. figure out how to conduct your own business.

invest in training your people. you invest a lot of money in them. spend a little time to ensure their success.

There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!