Morgan Stanley

www.morganstanley.com

World class platform, some warts.

Investment Banking Associate (Former Employee) Menlo Park, CA

ProsIt is truly a world-class platform. My group was far and away the leading group in our field and so it was extremely rare that a deal would happen that we didn't know about or get invited to participate in. There's still BS pitching involved, but not nearly as much as at other banks. The only other group that even comes close is GS.

ConsThe marketing, recruiting, etc would all tell you that its much more of a meritocracy than our competitors. But the reality is that its a pretty political place, and dead wood and blowhards tend to find shelter for long periods of time (even in this market). In the Menlo tech office, there's a little known secret: as an associate you have to do 3 years before getting the chance to get promoted to VP. It's not Morgan Stanley practice. It's not even MS Tech (NYC doesn't do it). It's just the Menlo office. Although they sell it as being 'for your benefit' in terms of training and development, the reality is that it's to their benefit. Once you've passed the two year mark (when all your friends are either gone or will be promoted), you're stuck. You either work your guts out to guarantee you get promoted, or you're screwed because everyone else out there knows you should have been promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on developing your people more. Especially in a down market like this where there are fewer deals to be done, training and development are key.

Why work there?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) White Plains, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros: The name recognition, was a good shop to work at,… Cons: Back stabbing people. Lots of stress for very low… Advice to Senior Management: You've made it, mentoring wouldn't hurt you. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

msdw

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Woodland Hills, CA

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros: The company will give a lot of financial support. They will pay… Cons: no formal training. no go to person for questions. you are… Advice to Senior Management: invest in training your people. you invest a lot of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Morgan Stanley.

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!