There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

Trading Analyst in FID

Former Employee - Trader  in  New York, NY
Former Employee - Trader in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Analyst program... met a lot of nice people

Cons

Lots of red tape... depending on your desk work may or may not be interesting...

Leverage the talent recruited

1657 Other Employee Reviews for Morgan Stanley (View Most Recent)

Merit-based, high-performing, low bureaucracy IT organization

Former Employee - Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The most capable and talented co-workers I have ever had worked at MS. The pay is high for software development work. Promotions are frequent, merit-based, and often from within the group. The hours are very manageable (high 40s-low 50s per week). One of the most pleasantly surprising things was how little bureaucracy there was for such a large organization. The goal is to enable the business group to make money and most things that are extraneous to that goal are eliminated. (This is based on 4 years in the Fixed Income software development group)

Cons

A relatively large percentage of the compensation was distributed through year-end bonuses. Those were based both on performance reviews and the profitability of the business group for which your team worked. If either your performance reviews or your group's profitability suffered, your bonus would suffer, too. That said, that was the standard compensation model for the finance industry and was no different than any other finance firm.

Treats employees poorly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free coffee. A great brand name that now is losing its luster as talented people are leaving in droves.

Cons

Despite getting the highest of performance ratings, I have not had a bonus since I joined the firm. They have told me each year that after the integration expenses are behind us, you will get what you deserve. And now that integration is over, the new story is that there are other expenses that were unanticipated.

The technology on the wealth management side is crap. FAs are frustrated and there is a reason why MS lost the most number of FAs last year of any wirehouse.

Senior management is so focused on margins, they are stepping on the pay for lower level employees (i.e. VP, AVP).

Morale is vey low.

I plan on leaving this firm as soon as I can.

If you are thinking of working here, try to negotiate a salary you will be happy with for the next three or four years knowing that there will be no pay raise and no bonus.

Don't be greedy. Share the firms success by giving raises and bonuses. Whatever bonus pool and salary raises you do allocate are so low, there is nothing left after the EDs and MDs are paid.

There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!