A nice place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even though the firm is based in New York, we do really important and visible work in the Shanghai office. It's great to know that what we do actually matters.
The firm culture is great, working hours are long but flexible.
I'm very happy with my management line, I got strong support from them and good feedback regarding my work. My colleagues are smart, and the firm organizes special events reasonable frequently.

Cons

Being so far away from the headquarters is not easy, we have to focus a lot on visibility, to get the same recognition.
Salaries after a first few years are not so great, and even though firm management is aware of this, they don't seem to take actions to fix this.
Hours can be long, especially if you have to work with New York or Montreal.

Advice to Management

You should focus on keeping good talent, the current strategy is not going to work.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Morgan stanley - a lifetime experience

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

awesome experience, plenty of opportunities, world class talent both IT and Finance, global exposure, great place to learn execute and get rewarded.

Cons

little hectic IT life at time as per market ups and downs.

Advice to Management

transparency esp in indian offices

How to waste two years of your life

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The graduate training scheme is unparalleled, a wonderful learning experience. For the first fifteen weeks of your career, you will feel like you made the right decision.

Cons

A corporate policy of Morgan Stanley is that there can be no promotion until you have served a total of nine years in higher education and the financial industry. If you have a bachelors degree, you will spend six years without any appreciable increase in salary or rank. The average bonus for new hires now is below three thousand, and the average raise is close to zero. There is a split culture; those who arrived before the crisis, in the "good times", still brag about wealth and insist on the best Champagne. For new hires, however, that could not be further from the truth. It is a long standing open secret that Morgan Stanley has the worst graduate salary of any large investment bank; the expectation being with advancement comes significant monetary improvements. What is likely to take you by surprise is that until the first promotion (6 years), the expected raise is zero.

Advice to Management

Recent firmwide announcements have suggested focus will be paid to increasing profitability. How about increasing employee happiness first?