There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

Great first job out of school, lots to learn

Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
Former Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training platform on financial analysis, company analysis, valuation, industry dynamics Can have immediate impact on quality / differentiation of product (research opinion) Lots of smart people around Good pay

Cons

Some bureaucracy Little work-life balance (for the first few years out of school) After a few years, kinda learned most about an industry and work start to become routine / maintenance.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good starting position but lack of leadership and work/life balance

Former Employee - Equity Derivatives Product Controller in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Equity Derivatives Product Controller in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good job right out of college to get some experience and get an idea of what work life was really about. Premium pay was okay. While I was salaried, I did receive overtime at half of my calculated hourly pay. Example: If I worked 50 hours, I would get my standard 40 hour pay but also be paid for 5 hours for 10 hours of overtime. It was nice to get SOMETHING for all the late time but I slowly learned that it was not worth it. Vacation time starts at 20 days, 10 of which have to be consecutive due to Dodd-Frank legislation (investor protection/fraud monitoring).

Cons

LOTS of late nights. I averaged about 50-52 hours every week. Promotions and raises are only done once a year which is "industry standard" as I was told. Managers seem to be promoted based on time served not intelligence. My manager was using notes that she borrowed from a girl who had been employed only a month! The hierarchy in the company, especially Baltimore was really bad and rigid. If you are low man on the totem pole, don't expect much help, and expect to get the shaft often. Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them. They give a gym subsidy of $25 per month, but this is taxed once a year and it only works out to be about $15 per month. "Forced" volunteerism. Coworkers and I were pressured constantly to donate, volunteer, "we are not doing enough in our group," etc. It didn't feel like volunteering at all! Parking is not free. It costs about $120 per month to park at the building you work at! Bathrooms are limited. 3 stalls for each bathroom, for a floor of about 225-250 people.

Advice to Management

The leadership there is bad. First time managers often rule with an iron fist and senior managers seem to be babysitters that delegate work as opposed to helping with it. Promote bright people with good ideas/performance and be willing to look at this more than just at years end and do not let "well so and so has been here for 2 years..." be a justification to why a promotion is not given. Speaking of promotion, do not promote based on time served. Many of your managers, especially senior managers, should not be in their positions but are not because of performance, but because they have been there a while. It's pathetic! Know that treating your employees like you do with the constant late nights and not helping with requests from NYC will only drive people to look for other opportunities.

Overall: fair to poor.

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working conditions - amenities and facilities

Cons

Pay. Very political. Poor management

Advice to Management

None.