There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

Good starting position but lack of leadership and work/life balance

Former Employee - Equity Derivatives Product Controller in Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Equity Derivatives Product Controller in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a good job right out of college to get some experience and get an idea of what work life was really about.
Premium pay was okay. While I was salaried, I did receive overtime at half of my calculated hourly pay. Example: If I worked 50 hours, I would get my standard 40 hour pay but also be paid for 5 hours for 10 hours of overtime. It was nice to get SOMETHING for all the late time but I slowly learned that it was not worth it.
Vacation time starts at 20 days, 10 of which have to be consecutive due to Dodd-Frank legislation (investor protection/fraud monitoring).

Cons

LOTS of late nights. I averaged about 50-52 hours every week.
Promotions and raises are only done once a year which is "industry standard" as I was told.
Managers seem to be promoted based on time served not intelligence. My manager was using notes that she borrowed from a girl who had been employed only a month!
The hierarchy in the company, especially Baltimore was really bad and rigid. If you are low man on the totem pole, don't expect much help, and expect to get the shaft often.
Very limited work/life balance, which they claimed was very important to them.
They give a gym subsidy of $25 per month, but this is taxed once a year and it only works out to be about $15 per month.
"Forced" volunteerism. Coworkers and I were pressured constantly to donate, volunteer, "we are not doing enough in our group," etc. It didn't feel like volunteering at all!
Parking is not free. It costs about $120 per month to park at the building you work at!
Bathrooms are limited. 3 stalls for each bathroom, for a floor of about 225-250 people.

Advice to Management

The leadership there is bad. First time managers often rule with an iron fist and senior managers seem to be babysitters that delegate work as opposed to helping with it.
Promote bright people with good ideas/performance and be willing to look at this more than just at years end and do not let "well so and so has been here for 2 years..." be a justification to why a promotion is not given.
Speaking of promotion, do not promote based on time served. Many of your managers, especially senior managers, should not be in their positions but are not because of performance, but because they have been there a while. It's pathetic!
Know that treating your employees like you do with the constant late nights and not helping with requests from NYC will only drive people to look for other opportunities.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

They just look out for themselves but you can at least make a little money

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time

Pros

Not many but the people you work with are usually smart and make you want to work harder.

Cons

Quite a bit. Most of the management could care less about you.

I doubt it =/

Current Employee - Associate
    Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a good place to work if you're fresh out of college with something other than a finance or business degree. It's operations so you don't need to be a guru to do this kind of work and it really isn't exactly hard. Bottom line is that it's back-office and unfortunately, this place is probably closer to the bottom of the barrel of the back-office operations out there

Cons

There's a lot so get some pop-corn, cheese fries, some soda and probably some form of energy drink.

Management is lacking, there really isn't a sign of clear leadership here as things tend to get pushed under-the-rug and over-looked. Very little actually guidance in how to perform your job and do it well. Reward is not based on talent or dedication but rather how long you spend and how much you "suck up" to management. Neither a Masters in Finance nor CFA level 2 candidacy is valued here as I had to pay my way through both although they claim to "support growth and opportunities". Compensation is pretty bad to say the least. Work/lifestyle isn't great but it's ok. I get in at 8 and leave at 5 everyday and that's considered good. However, while you're at work dont expect to leave your seat too much. Career opportunities is also a sour subject here as they tell you one thing, but everyone knows another. Very big disconnect.

Advice to Management

Please promote talent. I've seen quite a number of very talented people leave as well as very senior people as well. Please stop micr-managing everything. Lunch is lunch - don't call me to haggle me when I have an hour off for lunch.