Morgan Stanley

www.morganstanley.com

Electronic trading IT areas are a sweatshop, they will promise you bonuses, but will not deliver.

Vice President- ISGT (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCulture as a company is fairly good, Senior management as a whole is competent and does mostly the right thing. This was the best Investment Bank I have worked for (and I have worked for several). There are a lot of good individuals that work there. Management pushed people way too hard, but was at least not malicious. The business is clean- I never felt pushed to do the wrong thing for clients.

ConsExtremely long hours (~12 hour days on average), no consideration for personal life. Technology division is now 70% consultants, if you are a full-timer, you will be stuck with a lot of weekend work, as they won't pay
consultants on the weekend. It was just exhausting keeping up, I usually went home because I was spent, rarely did I go home because I felt everything was done. If you are full time, don't expect a bonus in technology. Before leaving, I talked to over 10 people who worked in my area, and the best bonus I heard going back to 2006 was $8000. My jaw was on the floor.

The culture was extremely competitive to "hit the date" on projects, and since bonuses (at least the idea of a bonus) were based on how many projects had your name next to them, teammates would not help each other out. Management has the joke on everyone- no one is getting paid, and it doesn't matter how much you killed yourself the past year!

Its a large company, and it was exhausting to get things done sometimes. Pushing on the right teams to get their work done (when you have no carrot to offer them), following all the procedures to get changes out (You see, we are putting new cover sheets on the TCMs this week, did you get that memo?), etc, just sucked the life right out of me.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people, respect their time, and stop spending so much time making yourself look good to your boss that you have no idea what is going on day to day in your group. Do not create a culture of "delivery" when you only have one thing to deliver to your employees- a decent bonus, and fail to do so year after year.

Morgan Stanley had managers that had no concept of how to manage relationships

Financial Advisor Associate (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than a year

Pros: Top tier analysts Flexible schedule Sexy private banker Cons: Management was clueless about anything going on Advice to Senior Management: Let advisors advise and stop having so many meetings during… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Good company

Technology Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: It is a good company with big name. Good company culture and working environment. Good… Cons: Technology roles are moving offshore as the cutting cost strategy. Cutting cost is high… Advice to Senior Management: Need to do something to retain talent: provide better compensation,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Morgan Stanley.

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!