Morgan Stanley

www.morganstanley.com
  www.morganstanley.com
There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

Recently deposed IT staffer tells all

Former Employee - IT Associate in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - IT Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Huge, innovative global investment bank with a good reputation. Technology is cutting edge and excellent for an organization that size. Despite market turmoil company is solid and well managed. Growth opportunities exist but usually only for newcomers. Desirable locations for offices to work in.

Cons

Unfortunately many. The biggest downside is lack of security. In my 2 + years there I witnessed severe attrition and laying off. While I can't pretend to know what was going on in each business unit, it did seem that the people who had been with the firm the longest were the first to go. Some well known departments were wiped out and replaced almost entirely. I suspect this is to avoid paying an accruing pension and because of "job performance". The ruthless bankers and managers seemed to be the only ones that survived. Ruthless business I understand, but I've met plenty of successful people who didn't resort to ruthlessness to survive.
I would also have to complain about some of the middle management. Some of the people chosen to serve in the ranks of middle management were flat out incompetent. My department was re-orged entirely, I was told my job had been outsourced, so I went out and got a better job. Some who decided to stay on got fired instead of a new job as a consultant.
All in all, it's a big name shop and if you can get in it's a good place to work, but like a lot of other big name companies, be a little leery of what is "promised" at your interview. You will pay dues no matter where you come from, you will probably not make as much as you thought, and after years of dedication you will probably get pinched. Wish I could be more optimistic but I saw several senior bankers in full crisis mode after losing their jobs when they were obviously planning on retiring from the company. I realize times have changed, but Morgan Stanley doesn't even pretend to honor your time spent there, and to me that kind of sucks.

Similar complaints from most of us not in management. Underlings are not idiots (at least not all of them). Pay attention to what's happening right under your noses. All banks are in trouble today because small, isolated groups with a lot of authority decided to make some really dumb bets. Question everything, just like you did when you were younger, and avoid the trouble that complacency so often brings.

1808 Other Employee Reviews for Morgan Stanley (View Most Recent)

Might one day day be good again - Not now!

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Generally has a good reputation in the industry. Compensation levels are comparable to other companies.

Cons

Poor leadership and higly stratified environment. A great deal of emphasis placed on title and level. Big differences in what you will experience depending on who your management team is. Very insular and clicky - reminded me of high school.
    You will go through a very long hiring process. Approximately 5 to 10 rounds of interviews depending on group and level. Very hard to get hired from outside above the vice president level.

There are many different of work life balance programs available, however, they are more likely to be supportive of women wanting modified work arrangements then men.

In genereal you MUST be very good at navigating internal politics to survive and especially advance.

Give your emplyoees the tools necessary to do the job. Improve your long and mid term planning. Be upfront and forthright with employees.

A Worsening Picture

Current Employee - GWMG Analyst in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - GWMG Analyst in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Name recognition, great place to begin, networking

Cons

Very difficult to advance, especially to another area of the firm. Too much politicing. Significant differences from department to department in terms of culture, pay, and opportunities. Not a good place to develop talent, as it is underappreciated and under-utilized (not to mention the worst error, underpaid!)

Give more consideration to those working to become established. Make moving on to new areas of the firm a bigger emphasis and one that is more realistic. Currently, dept have no push to look internally before externally. Someone with talent in one area of finance, with the right drive, determination and example, should be successful in other areas of finance just as easily. Also, reinstate the tuition reimbursement program, or at least increase it from the new $10k a yr max (it was 100% reimbursement as early as spring 2008).

There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley