Morgan Stanley

www.morganstanley.com

Recently deposed IT staffer tells all

IT Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsHuge, innovative global investment bank with a good reputation. Technology is cutting edge and excellent for an organization that size. Despite market turmoil company is solid and well managed. Growth opportunities exist but usually only for newcomers. Desirable locations for offices to work in.

ConsUnfortunately many. The biggest downside is lack of security. In my 2 + years there I witnessed severe attrition and laying off. While I can't pretend to know what was going on in each business unit, it did seem that the people who had been with the firm the longest were the first to go. Some well known departments were wiped out and replaced almost entirely. I suspect this is to avoid paying an accruing pension and because of "job performance". The ruthless bankers and managers seemed to be the only ones that survived. Ruthless business I understand, but I've met plenty of successful people who didn't resort to ruthlessness to survive.
I would also have to complain about some of the middle management. Some of the people chosen to serve in the ranks of middle management were flat out incompetent. My department was re-orged entirely, I was told my job had been outsourced, so I went out and got a better job. Some who decided to stay on got fired instead of a new job as a consultant.
All in all, it's a big name shop and if you can get in it's a good place to work, but like a lot of other big name companies, be a little leery of what is "promised" at your interview. You will pay dues no matter where you come from, you will probably not make as much as you thought, and after years of dedication you will probably get pinched. Wish I could be more optimistic but I saw several senior bankers in full crisis mode after losing their jobs when they were obviously planning on retiring from the company. I realize times have changed, but Morgan Stanley doesn't even pretend to honor your time spent there, and to me that kind of sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimilar complaints from most of us not in management. Underlings are not idiots (at least not all of them). Pay attention to what's happening right under your noses. All banks are in trouble today because small, isolated groups with a lot of authority decided to make some really dumb bets. Question everything, just like you did when you were younger, and avoid the trouble that complacency so often brings.

Might one day day be good again - Not now!

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros: Generally has a good reputation in the industry. Compensation… Cons: Poor leadership and higly stratified environment. A great deal of emphasis placed on title and level. Big differences in what you will experience… Advice to Senior Management: Give your emplyoees the tools necessary to do the job. Improve… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

A Worsening Picture

GWMG Analyst (Current Employee) Purchase, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros: Name recognition, great place to begin, networking Cons: Very difficult to advance, especially to another area of the firm. Too much politicing. Significant differences from department to department in terms of… Advice to Senior Management: Give more consideration to those working to become established. Make moving on to new areas of the firm a bigger emphasis and one that… More
There are newer reviews on Morgan Stanley.

Worked for Morgan Stanley? Contribute to the Community!