Morgan Stanley

www.morganstanley.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley

First class business in a first class way

Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY
Current Employee - Research Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

great teamwork, great place to learn the business from very experienced managers. real thrill of getting the deal done and winning in the market place, thinking like an owner makes a big company feel small. Great brand name and trust that has been built with clients over many years.

Cons

have to work a lot of time. Have to be careful about the managers whom you work for. Also want to make sure you are on a good path to success and have appropriate feedback to determine what those paths are early on.

its a great place to work but we need to develop talent management programs more thoughtfully

1986 Other Employee Reviews for Morgan Stanley (View Most Recent)

Morgan Stanley, a good place to work - if you can handle working for a large sized company.

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Salary and benefits are excellent. Company follows through on their committment to balancing work / life issues with real incentives and suggestions. They also support additional training or education efforts with their wallet - not just lip service.

Cons

Everything you might want to do - no matter how large or small - requires you know the policy, and follow it. Need a new PC? New PC arrived with 2 business days. The staff to set it up (must be union person) - 5 weeks. On the plus side - it's usually pretty easy to find the policy - very good search features on intranet.

Not applicable

Recently deposed IT staffer tells all

Former Employee - IT Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - IT Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Morgan Stanley

Pros

Huge, innovative global investment bank with a good reputation. Technology is cutting edge and excellent for an organization that size. Despite market turmoil company is solid and well managed. Growth opportunities exist but usually only for newcomers. Desirable locations for offices to work in.

Cons

Unfortunately many. The biggest downside is lack of security. In my 2 + years there I witnessed severe attrition and laying off. While I can't pretend to know what was going on in each business unit, it did seem that the people who had been with the firm the longest were the first to go. Some well known departments were wiped out and replaced almost entirely. I suspect this is to avoid paying an accruing pension and because of "job performance". The ruthless bankers and managers seemed to be the only ones that survived. Ruthless business I understand, but I've met plenty of successful people who didn't resort to ruthlessness to survive.
    I would also have to complain about some of the middle management. Some of the people chosen to serve in the ranks of middle management were flat out incompetent. My department was re-orged entirely, I was told my job had been outsourced, so I went out and got a better job. Some who decided to stay on got fired instead of a new job as a consultant.
    All in all, it's a big name shop and if you can get in it's a good place to work, but like a lot of other big name companies, be a little leery of what is "promised" at your interview. You will pay dues no matter where you come from, you will probably not make as much as you thought, and after years of dedication you will probably get pinched. Wish I could be more optimistic but I saw several senior bankers in full crisis mode after losing their jobs when they were obviously planning on retiring from the company. I realize times have changed, but Morgan Stanley doesn't even pretend to honor your time spent there, and to me that kind of sucks.

Similar complaints from most of us not in management. Underlings are not idiots (at least not all of them). Pay attention to what's happening right under your noses. All banks are in trouble today because small, isolated groups with a lot of authority decided to make some really dumb bets. Question everything, just like you did when you were younger, and avoid the trouble that complacency so often brings.

There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley