Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Horrible company!

Former Employee - Senior Registered Associate  in  Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Senior Registered Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

None to praise about after joint venture with MS. Things just went downhill fast!

Cons

- Healthcare was changed Blue Cross Blue Shield to United Healthcare for benefits... costs went up as well
- Technology and policies cumbersome
- Management does not listen... it's all about the bottom line
- No room for advancement at branch level- approached management to try something new in career- was constantly told... yes we'll work on that, and yet nothing happened. Just getting lip service
- at mercy for advisors to pay you extra and bonuses. Firm base salary very low
- It's all about the FA"s.... operations and other staff are a line item... extra cost for the firm.
- no recognition for doing good work
- absolutely no flexibility for work/home life balance. Only the FA's get that luxury.

after the merger, things only got worse, horrible management, backwards policies, more paperwork.
Overall stressful place to work in. After 15 year at Smith Barney, it was time to leave. Leaving the firm was my own personal decision. It was a dead end job to nowhere.

There was also frustration with FA's in the office as well, they were not listened to by management.
Payout was decreased.... for certain accounts. They are all for pushing their own MS products.
Also frustrating to FA's was the abundance of fees being charged to clients with assets lower than a million.
MS is trying get into Wealth Management and get the million and over clients.... majority of millionaire clients are already established. There first choice would not be MS.... most wealthy affluent people manage their assets with other high end banks that do cater to the rich no fees, elegant offices etc.

MS is a wanna be and they should just give up......

Recognize your employees for a job well done--- whether it be a lunch, bonus, extra time off.

More flexibility for operational staff and support staff- with work and home life balance.

Increase pay!!!!--- the only people you pay well are the fat cat FA's and managers with insane salaries and bonuses.

Listen to your employees.... however... I take it most of the management are "Yes" people for corporate in New York

477 Other Employee Reviews for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney (View Most Recent)

Financial Ad visor Trainee

Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee  in  Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor Trainee in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice office locations and office decor.

Cons

No training and they just want to be introduced to your contacts and steal your book of business and give it to the senior people. All you really are is a low paid-lead generator for the senior people.

Horrible training program. Treat your people better.

Great Place to Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Intern in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great learning experience, especially if you're on a brokerage or analytical career track. Very professional workforce.

Cons

There were some days where I didn't have much to do, but I was able to use that time to work on finding a full-time position with the support of the office staff for whom I worked.

I haven't worked for the company for a few years (in which time there has been a change in leadership), so I don't really feel qualified to answer the question.

There are newer employer reviews for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney

Worked for Morgan Stanley Smith Barney? Contribute to the Community!