MorganFranklin Consulting

www.morganfranklin.com

Company culture a best fit for entrepreneurial professionals

Senior Associate (Current Employee) McLean, VA

Pros- MorganFranklin's pay for performance environment is best suited for self-starting professionals who are entrepreneurial by nature. Each engagement is essentially an opportunity to run your own consulting business for a single client. Professionals that walk towards challenges and focus on solving client issues are going to be the most successful here. If you do a really good job for a client, this will lead to more business development opportunities at the client (or through referral) and increased opportunities for you as a professional.
- This company is growing, and you can feel the electricity in the air. People are excited and happy to work for MorganFranklin, most likely because we are contributing to the business goals of a client base that continues to increase in size and visibility.
- MorganFranklin is very focused on company culture, and the leadership works to communicate the cultural ideals of the company to employees at all levels through trainings such as the "MorganFranklin Way". Overall, the culture is positive and inclusive, with an emphasis on rewarding performance and business development. Regularly scheduled happy hours, company events, and community volunteer opportunities re-inforce the positive culture. I think they are doing a good job of regularly bringing the company together, despite the dispersed nature of a consulting business model.
- Flexibility is an option.
- The majority of the Managing Directors are former Big4 audit or consulting professionals, with families. As a result, they expect that every engagement deliver high quality work products to clients, but understand the balance that you need to strike as a professional with a family. You can have a career in professional-services here and still have a personal life.
- I honestly like the Managing Directors I work with on engagements, and I enjoy the interactions with the founders. I would enjoy having a beer with the majority of the leaders at the company. How often can you say that about your boss?

Cons- There is variability in experience at the Associate and Senior Associate levels. The sweet-spot for MorganFranklin recruiting is former Big4 audit or consulting professionals with a few years experience. These professionals know how to prepare workpapers, prepare presentations geared towards clients, analyze and understand the accounting and finance environment of a client, perform technical accounting research and respond to external auditor requests on behalf of clients. Associates that do not have this previous experience don't receive as balanced a development track. It can be difficult to develop an Associate hired from campus to the same level of proficiency as a Senior Associate or Manager hired from a Big4 firm.
- There are less technical resources and fewer levels of general review than Big4. Not a big deal if you are good at performing technical research and working independently, but if you relied on a reviewer to catch your mistakes or consultation with a subject matter expert in the past then this might feel like working without a safety net.

Advice to Senior Management- Formal mentoring program has recently been implemented, and continues to develop. There is a lot of potential here to provide professionals with resources outside their chain of command, match professionals to new project opportunities in the company, and promote cross-training of professionals. I encourage you to continue to promote the importance of active mentoring.
- To address the Associate development concerns, scheduling should consider creating paired teams of campus-hire professionals and experienced-hires from the Big4. These "partnered" teams could continue to work together on several clients throughout a development cycle (i.e. 6 months or a year). During this development cycle, the senior professional is responsible for teaching the junior professional proper workpaper technique, accounting research, etc. Then, at the end of the development cycle the staff associate can provide feedback on the development provided by the senior associate (and can choose to continue on this team or request another team), and the senior associate can provide feedback on the development of the staff (and then make a similar decision about continuing to partner with this staff or starting over with a new staff). This partnership can be repeated up the chain of command through Manager and Senior Manager levels.

MorganFranklin Consulting Response

Apr 29, 2013Vice President of Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! MFC has a "continuous improvement" culture, and thoughtful employee feedback like this is extremely valuable to us. While no Company is perfect, you've ... More

Scope Creep + Unqualified People on Projects = High Risk

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time

Pros: The pay is decent and MFC reimburses your expenses quickly. This is a… Cons: The "management" structure is essentially sales. They care more about signing deals than actually delivering results to customers. It's not unusual for management… Advice to Senior Management: -Stop bring Big Four cut throat practices -Bid on projects MFC… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Excellent place to begin a career, with unlimited opportunities for growth and experience.

Associate (Current Employee) McLean, VA

I have been working at MorganFranklin Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros: I've been given experiences in various types of projects within only a year, vastly increasing my range of skill sets; I have been valued… Cons: Not always advanced notice on where/what your next project will… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on MorganFranklin Consulting.

Worked for MorganFranklin Consulting? Contribute to the Community!