Morningstar

There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar

Solid Career Launching Pad, Beware of Stagnation

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager
Former Employee - Senior Product Manager

I worked at Morningstar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Mission of helping investors admirably adhered to
- Friendly, Midwestern vibe
- Comfy, safe employment
- Access to top brass
- Non-monetary perks (vacation policy, sabbaticals)
- Academics rule
- Phenomenal design

Cons

- Pay is sub-optimal, stock options aren't used as a real incentive
- Human Resources are not professional
- No rewards for top performers, no downside for non-performers
- Career advancement missing and unscientific
- Commitment to technology died in about 2005
- Non-competitive environment

I spent 8 years with Morningstar, straight from college (pre and post IPO), working in two countries in various parts of the business so in a sense I became part of management. I'm proud of my accomplishments, friendly with many current employees, but frustrated about missed opportunities and a lack of personal financial gain.

Make no mistake, this company benefits investors and acts accordingly. Senior management is fantastic, especially Don Phillips, and of course Joe Mansueto. On the whole, everyone is genuine, friendly, and hard working. Employees enjoy a lot of freedom to explore projects and make a name for themselves. My opinion is Joe M is first and foremost an investor, which means he runs his company in a lean, safe, and conservative manner. He can afford to lose people with a lot of institutional knowledge like me because at the end of the day, Morningstar's profitability comes from their fantastic data business and being a "great place to work" means a long line of young, academically-minded grads waiting to get an interview.

The problem for career-minded people looking to rise up through the ranks and make serious money (at least $200k) is that a good portion of the original executive committee is still in place and awfully comfortable after having benefited immensely from the 2005 IPO (and I don't blame them). Until these people sunset, the company lacks bold direction and new initiatives.

Culturally, Morningstar is caught in an odd place. In one sense they're trying to compete with traditional financial services firms, which hurts salary comps and makes them appear out of the "deal making" loop (no New York presence, e.g.). In another sense they pioneered a workplace culture and benefit system, which today is the norm for tech companies so its novelty has worn off.

Morningstar is filled with bright and eager recent college grads using Morningstar as a way-station until being accepted at Kellogg or Booth, or as very cozy place for people to remain forever. There's way too much in at 9AM, out at 5PM, back on the train to the suburbs behavior. You don't get the sense that the company is leveraging their fantastic success story or getting the best and brightest.

Advice to management:

Offer a partnership structure in which younger leaders are incentivized via long-term equity vesting awards of serious size. My pre-IPO options plus seven years of annual equity awards was immaterial.

Fix HR throughout the company. Salary negotiations are not taken seriously, and there have been a number of embarrassing breaches in confidentiality, to say nothing of the total lack of career planning or advice.

296 Other Employee Reviews for Morningstar (View Most Recent)

Great Company to work

Current Employee - Web Developer in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Work - Life Balance

Cons

Senior Management performance needs to be improve.

Overall nice experience, except it could be better.

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Mumbai (India)

I worked at Morningstar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work culture, infra, benefits, etc.

Cons

Disconnect between policies preached by the company and the implementation by senior managers.

Address employee issues ASAP rather than frustrating them out of the job.

There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar