Morningstar

www.morningstar.com
  www.morningstar.com
There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar

Good company to work for first up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Morningstar full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very good values.
Stable job.
Above average 401K match besides other benefits.
If you are a finance professional there is a lot you can learn at Morningstar.

Cons

Lack of growth once you reach team lead/manager.
Pay is not up to market standards.

Trust your own people from with in. Outsiders are drawing big pay. But has done very little so far.

301 Other Employee Reviews for Morningstar (View Most Recent)

Gradually Derailing

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Morningstar full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Summer hours, out-performing is easy, limited hours each week, work life balance, nice every-day perks.

Our company has always been a gem in the investment industry for its limited hours and relaxed environment which are still consistently present at the company. Expect to work less than 45 hour weeks typically and enjoy the free soft drinks, tea and coffee (and bagels on Wednesdays). I think generally speaking, our managers mean well and do care about their employee's wellness.

Cons

Compensation packages, limited upward mobility, strategy inconsistency, regular corporate missteps, increasingly opaque.

Over time, Morningstar is losing touch with its employee base. Many coworkers sit with hardly anything to do, and yet our headcount is exploding YoY. Projects regularly stall without adequate developers (or developers that are required to actually work at work) and during vacation season, people lose all sense of delivering what's necessary to our clients in a timely fashion.

Simmering resent is perhaps as widespread as it's ever been during my tenure with the company - at face value everybody is happy, but when you talk to anybody over details, people are truly miserable. Limited hours sounds great, but this slack in employee time results in employees feeling underutilized and underappreciated. Add to this substantially sub-par pay packages and our hard working, innovative and bright employees are the ones leaving the firm. Often the long-term employees here are either high ranking and loaded with stock (very smart as well) or they're manipulators of the system who feel free to take 4-6 weeks of vacation a year and move slowly at best when they're on the job. A note for the ambitious, you will be utterly disappointed here.

A specific note for future MDPs (Morningstar Development Program candidates), expect no negotiation salaries, dictated position changes, no pay increases with promotions, and annual raises that trail inflation.

Take your own advice regarding organic growth and stop the frothy M&A, create room for employees to grow vertically, pay attention to your employees that want more work and reward them.

Joe, please take your own advice and select gritty candidates - not employees who are collecting a paycheck for 35 hours a week.

Good culture company, but some drawbacks...

I have been working at Morningstar

Pros

work and life balance, health benefit is great

Cons

salary is too low in the industry for the same position.

There are newer employer reviews for Morningstar