Motherhood Maternity

www.motherhood.com
  www.motherhood.com
There are newer employer reviews for Motherhood Maternity

Would never work or shop there again

Former Employee - Where Every Employee IS A Manager in Jacksonville, FL
Former Employee - Where Every Employee IS A Manager in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Motherhood Maternity

Pros

Fairly generous employee discount (if you can find clothing that will fit you properly when not pregnant - but they expect you to wear it anyway)
Hour cap for managers (42 a week) except in "crisis situations" - which turned out to be always

Cons

My district manager was catty and would blatantly talk about employees to those in other stores. She would also make a point of embarassing you by name during district and regional conference calls if even one piece of your business was not up to minimum standards.
Somewhat unrealistic transaction standards - each customer HAD to leave with at least one four piece outfit to be considered acceptable - my store was in a very low-income college town, and the tee shirts alone were $25-$30 each! I got to know many customers by name and many of them could only afford one of their overpriced pairs of jeans and if they were lucky two shirts their ENTIRE pregnancy. Yet my store was constantly compared against another store in our district over 70 miles away in a VERY high-class shopping center and high-income clientele area.
Expect to work alone all day, every day. Want lunch? Hope you brought it with you even though they say you get an hour lunch break.
Every single associate has keys to the store and works alone..."managers" are vaguely by title only. Good luck if you need to discipline an employee!
All of my peers in my district were whiny and condescending - training was provided in the form of one weekend in which you have to learn EVERYTHING and then you're on your own... you can't get another store manager to come help if you have questions, the next store is 50+ miles away and every store looks completely different.
Company is a milion years behind in technology, in everything from credit card machines to communication. All communication is through a voicemail system with NOTHING to alert you that you have a new message! There is NO email system at all.

Implement some BASIC current technology in your stores. Provide better training for managers or at least give them someone to reach out to if they have questions! Recognize that not every store is going to be laid out the same way - my store was 10' wide and we could never make the floor set look the way you wanted it (physically impossible) yet you'll still be chastised for it. Hire managers that have MANAGEMENT experience, not just because they look like fashion plates.

59 Other Employee Reviews for Motherhood Maternity (View Most Recent)

Good company, not enough payroll

Current Employee - Store Manager in Hicksville, NY
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Hicksville, NY

I have been working at Motherhood Maternity

Pros

Happy environment
    Your there to wardrobe your clients
    Good benefits

Cons

High level management never there to motivate or congratulate
    The company lacks the ability to develop employees
    Not a lot of payroll hours, lots of shifts by yourself

No one should work by themselves. Spend less money on shipping marketing we never use and spend some money on a Christmas bonus.

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor
    Former Employee - Part Time Supervisor

I worked at Motherhood Maternity part-time (more than an year)

Pros

-high pay. With high pay, they do expect a lot
    -low turn over
    -low loss prevention
    -friendly and dedicated people to work with
    -customers do spend a lot, and can build great connection with customers

Cons

-because of low turn overs, less room for advancement.
    -I am not a paperwork kind of person (being in management, that requires a lot). Lots of paperwork
    -so hard to get in touch with help desk

To head office:
    -Better Sales statistics (ex. What products sold the best. Not what category)
    -Have better access to help desk instead of just leaving a voice mail.

To management:
    -be more sales orientated. Just because one customer complained does not mean the end of all sales.

There are newer employer reviews for Motherhood Maternity