Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans

www.mpiphp.org
  www.mpiphp.org
There are newer employer reviews for Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans

Micromanagement : Follow their commands!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Studio City, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Studio City, CA

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has good health insurance & pension benefits.

Cons

MICROMANAGEMENT..Managers personally makes every decision, take a lead role in the performance of every significant task . In extreme cases, dictate every small step the workers take. They are control freak. They hovers over staff who are trying to get their work done and rarely, if ever, seriously considers their ideas and opinions. The only "original" thinking the managers recognizes is his or her own.They take essential management practices to extremes and interferes with employees' ability to do their jobs properly, while creating undue stress for them. In addition to creating stress and discontent among employees, they inhibits employee development. No effort is made to challenge employees with learning situations. They delegates nothing of consequence, thus depriving employees of opportunity for growth. Their micromanagement style creates "yes men" or "yes women," as employees discover it's easiest and safest to go along with the manager.

“Bad Management Behavior”, “Lack of Recognition”, “Lack of Respect” and “Management not allowing the employees to make decisions

FAVORITISM..In my department, our micromanagers does not want to see non favorite employees communicate with co-workers. If we talk to our co-workers, one of the manager in my department will personally approach the employees & ask if they are on break or ask if we are talking about work etc.. However, they have at least 4 employees in my department who constantly talking (excessively loud) about non business related issues all day long but the micromanagers does not say anything to them.

MORALITY. They talked to employees like a pre-school kid, like everyone does not know anything. Employees needs to follow every order and not allowed to decide based on their own determination.

PROMOTION. Based on the company policy, all job openings under a director position should be posted so everyone has an opportunity to apply for the position. In our department, we used to have an opening for a managerial position, however nobody had any knowledge about it until they announced the promotion of 2 favorite employees. They did not give any opportunity to other employees who are obviously beyond qualified for the position based on experience, managerial skills & education.They would prefer an underdog with lack of expertise and education who would say "YES" & will be under control all the time.

Work & Life Balance : They set up specific months when employees are NOT allowed to take vacations & time off. If you have a little children, it's tough to survive in this company as we are not allowed to be a minute late. A minute late will be counted against an employee and we are only allowed to be late three times in a year.

The BOSS. Drives employees, depends on authority, inspire fear, places blame, uses people, take credit, commands, intimidate, no compassion

Be a Leader ..Learn how to be a coach, on goodwill, generates enthusiasm. says "WE" not "I", fixes the breakdown, show how it is done, develops people, gives credit, ask.... says "Lets go"..

8 Other Employee Reviews for Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans (View Most Recent)

Micro Management: What Not To Do

Current Employee - Auditor  in  Studio City, CA
    Current Employee - Auditor in Studio City, CA

I have been working at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans

Pros

They have a good pension plan and health plan; however, that is slowly diminishing as health care costs are rising.

Cons

While like in any company, each department is different from the other. I could only speak for the auditing department. The auditing department has been the laughing stock of the entire company because of the high number of turnovers over the past 3-4 years. The so-called managers are more like Nazi SS soldiers micro-managing every area of your job. While my time there was a learning process, it definately was not a fun one. As an auditor, you are constantly on the hot seat from outside employers who do not want to cooperate with you and don't want you to see their records, to the inside "bosses" who constantly monitor you and smother you with administrative useless reports and time tracking programs. To make things worse, the manager of the department does not know how to audit records with the current Solomon program. He relies on the auditors to support his lack of knowledge on performing his job.

The managers should stop micro-managing their employees given that their jobs are already difficult to begin with. At least have the manager do an audit by himself so that he can see how difficult auditing really is. Instead of pushing more work on the auditors, they should reward them for the hard work that they do. And by the way, cut some of your salary raises and bonuses and give it to those who really do the job. At least bring the salary to the market level in that field.

Micro-management at its finest

Former Employee - Participant Service Call Representative  in  Studio City, CA
    Former Employee - Participant Service Call Representative in Studio City, CA

I worked at Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Came here through a temp agency with good starting pay. Very helpful, friendly co-workers and management (most of them), also in other departments. If you had a question on a call, others are approachable and willing to help.

Cons

No formal training. My training consisted of listening in on a rep's calls to MPI members. By the third week, I was on my own. This job requires stock knowledge. They gave me a booklet of which I had to know it's entire contents, and if a caller had a question that you don't know, put them on hold, get up and find someone not on a call and ask.

For the short time that I was there, I was very stressed and not confident at all with the little knowledge that I knew. I wasn't given access to the multitude of systems that you must check. I had to get up and ask someone who did. Checking claims status? You have to go to this system, but if it's beyond a certain date, you must log in to another system. Is this particular benefit covered? Check this system, and if you type it in, chances are, it may not be listed. Were documents received? Check this screen, or maybe this screen. "But I faxed it and mailed it and still you don't have it?!" You are literally walking on eggshells with each call, not knowing if that's the ticking time bomb, because it's guaranteed.

All the departments are messed up to the ying-yang. Nobody knows who's doing what and why. Claims are incorrectly denied, time sensitive correspondence takes weeks to go out in the mail, callers are angry, and on top of that, they experience delayed hold times of 30 min or more. Everything trickles down to the call center who gets the brunt of it all.

It's like a sweatshop. One incident in particular, I was reviewing training material, and when the asst mgr saw that I wasn't on a call, made some catty remark, and told me to take a call, then proceeded by sending a department email that if it wasn't time to clock out, you should be taking calls. The next incident was the one that broke the camel's back. I was reading info on how to log in to one of the systems, the asst mgr pointed out again that I should be on a call. For crying out loud, I wasn't sitting there filing my nails, or painting my toes, as others do when management is in one of their meetings.

MPIPHP needs a major revamping and overhaul from the inside out.

-Management (one in particular) should be more considerate and not quick to jump at someone
    -Get rid of the plethora of systems and utilize one complete system. Efficiency can't be accomplished if you don't have the proper tools
    -Put in a proper training protocol, rather than throwing a book at a new hire and expecting them to read it from cover to cover

Worked for Motion Picture Industry Pension & Health Plans? Contribute to the Community!