There are newer employer reviews for Motley Fool

Energetic work environment, but fast-changing model makes feedback fickle.

Current Employee - Contractor  in  Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Contractor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Energetic environment, refreshing voice in the financial community, results-based

Cons

Sparse feedback, team communication can be difficult, shifting incentives structure

More consistent and constructive feedback from bureau chiefs would be wonderful.

103 Other Employee Reviews for Motley Fool (View Most Recent)

Great Internship, Better People

Former Employee - Investing Intern  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Investing Intern in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Motley Fool as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly work environment, people are very open to talking to you and helping you (everyone), not the kind of internship where you are expected to get coffee and pizza for people, many other perks that include pizza days, omelets breakfasts, and desserts

Cons

The investment internship is loosely structured, although the career advancement opportunities are minimal since the internship does not allow opportunity for further advancement usually

You're doing great Tom and David! Keep it up.

Needs to improve overall employee satisfaction and morale

Former Employee - Professional
    Former Employee - Professional

I worked at Motley Fool full-time for more than a year

Pros

During the honeymoon period (first 2 months of starting the position), everything is wonderful. They bend over backwards to help you, and most of all they talk up how great Motley Fool is to work for, and how fortunate you are for them to have chosen you to be with them. It makes you feel very special to be the "chosen one".

Cons

After about 2 months to a year, you start to realize who you are truly working for. The managers personalities finally reveal themselves and the culture creeps up on you. Unfortunately, it wasn't positive for me. Since the culture is "play as much as you like", and the desks with no cubicle walls to separate you from hundreds of others, you begin to realize how unprofessional this place really is. It was like a huge playground, with very poor management emotional intelligence (speaking of my three direct managers). Absolutely zero privacy, and every single phone call to your spouse, doctor and friend, was overheard by 10's of people, including your strange managers, who then all asked you about what you talked about on the phone with your spouse and doctor! I was horrified each time. When I was working on certain projects and needed a few others to complete their part of the project in order for me to continue on with my portion of the project, those other people were consistently no were to be found. Where were they each time I went look for them? In the game room, or "running late" for work. Sometimes they showed up at 1pm, sometimes at 11am. No one knew. It was especially frustrating for a professional like myself. I could go on about all of the problems with this company, but there isn't enough time and space. They desperately want you to believe it's the best company to work for (and continually tell you that while you work there) but in reality, it was the one of the worst. (I found it disturbing to have been told repeatedly that I'm "...lucky to have been chosen to work at the Motley Fool," etc., etc.)
    I quickly severed my employment with the Mostly Fool when I found an established professional company to work for. I'm still working for the same established professional company to this day. "Professional" makes all the difference.

Perhaps hire a professional firm to oversee your management staff. You need to foster a professional level atmosphere. Hire not just intellectually competent management staff, but also hire emotionally intelligent individuals too. The "play as much as you want" culture is very disconcerting when you're working there and trying to be a professional. You wouldn't need to continually try and convince employees that it's "the best place to work in the world", if it truly was the best place to work.

There are newer employer reviews for Motley Fool

Worked for Motley Fool? Contribute to the Community!