Motley Fool

www.fool.com
  www.fool.com
There are newer employer reviews for Motley Fool

Best Job I've Ever Had

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

TMF has changed my life in many unexpected ways. In addition to earning a living wage, I have been able to pay off my credit card that lingered from graduate school and am chipping away at my student loan debt. I've learned about and started to invest with the guidance if TMF, and always feel comfortable asking questions and seeking advice if need be. I'm consistently surprised by the generosity of the company. I feel grateful every day that this company had changed me for the better- financially and otherwise. The emphasis on health and wellness has led me to incorporate even more healthful measures into my life. I love my colleagues and feel valued and respected at work. Through various programs, the company encourages reading and life long learning. Employees are treated like adults, given freedom with their schedules, and encouraged to determine their own job descriptions based on their skills and preferences. I've never worked anywhere where the morale was so high.

Cons

Sometimes the environment can be disruptive or chaotic. It's important to have areas people can retreat to in order to work quietly/undisturbed. Sometimes there are too many hands in a project and it can get unwieldy.

Keep it up!

Oct 24, 2014

We are so honored to read your comments - it is truly special to see a review like this on Glassdoor. Your experience here mirrors what we hope to provide our members - an opportunity to change their ... More

104 Other Employee Reviews for Motley Fool (View Most Recent)

Challenging, interesting, fun

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This is overall a happy, supportive environment. People, leadership included, really care about others and making this a great place to work, while remaining intense and challenging.

Cons

You need to cultivate a lot of self discipline here-- to manage distractions and to keep yourself from working 24/7 because there is so much to be done and it's all so interesting. I also agree with the reviewer that duplicate efforts crop up because the environment is so fast paced.

I know you are reading this and paying close attention, and that's what makes the Fool a great place to work. One suggestion might be to define leadership team's roles and goals more clearly and more often.

Oct 24, 2014

You raise so many good points in your review (including how seriously we take our Glassdoor reviews). We love your point about the balance between a supportive, caring environment and a challenging ... More

Contractors make the business but they aren't always treated fairly.

Former Employee - Contributor
    Former Employee - Contributor

I worked at Motley Fool as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The Motley Fool really takes their mission and core values seriously, and for the most part, they tend to deliver. While on-campus, you are allowed pretty much free reign over your schedule, and it got to the point that we would only come in when we had a meeting or some other event scheduled. Not too shabby.

Free pizza, cake, and other foodstuffs are always a bonus too.

Cons

As a contractor, I felt that I was never given an accurate picture of what my deliverables were for the company, other than a target number of articles to hit each month. "Coaching" to correct deficiencies often felt more negative than positive, and only made me question my ability as a writer, instead of encouraging me to do better. It got to a point where I would stress after hitting the submit button, that my article would have to undergo numerous additional revisions before publication, and therefore I would not be able to move onto other articles and increase my productivity.

I'll admit that most of this was perhaps my failure to adapt to the life of a freelance writer, but I also felt like my particular bureau had favorites among their stable of writers, and if you weren't among the handful of favorites, it was harder to get your stuff published in a timely manner. Furthermore, comparisons to the "favorites" seemed to do the opposite of building a strong bureau, instead pitting each writer against the others in a battle for top favorite.

With a strong stable of contract writers, maybe it is not necessary to give all the same boilerplate contract? If some are more comfortable writing less, and producing good product, maybe let them dictate the amount they write (and get paid for) instead.

Oct 24, 2014

Thanks for sharing your experiences at The Motley Fool. We’re very proud of our mission and core values, as well as an environment of trust that permits Fools to set their own schedule. We have been ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Motley Fool