Motley Fool

www.fool.com
  www.fool.com
There are newer employer reviews for Motley Fool

I don't plan to work anywhere else ... ever.

Current Employee - Associate Advisor in Alexandria, VA
Current Employee - Associate Advisor in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love our purpose to help the world invest better, and I love how dedicated we are to creating a culture that's working together to fulfill that purpose. Plus, I get to follow my passion for investing. How many companies truly create opportunities like that?

Cons

We are growing fast and are going through some growing pains, ones that every founder-led company has to go through as the business get bigger: management systems, team structures, decision-making systems, etc.

Keep doing what you're doing, which is to focus on building our culture and the development of our employees. It is very clear that management loves the company and the Fools that make it up.

104 Other Employee Reviews for Motley Fool (View Most Recent)

Great, if you drink the Kool-Aid

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Definitely no shortage on perks, whether you are in house or a contractor. The company encourages a casual, fun-first atmosphere. Freedom to chase down your own ideas and initiatives.

Cons

The culture here is cult-ish, and if you show anything less than undying love for all things 'Fool,' you are met with the antithesis of what the company claims to represent. Though the Motley Fool encourages a wide range of opinions, it is not the case if you are an employee. You must bow down to the chosen darlings and blindly champion the rhetoric they consistently ooze. Egos are a problem here, and management seems to support it fully. The company's ultimate goals are to capture email addresses for the marketing department.

Get back to focusing on the best investment advice possible, and take a close look at the editorial staff.

You make a difference working with smart people with a purpose

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Motley Fool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There's a true, meaningful purpose here. You are helping members have a healthy relationship with their finances and moving them toward financial independence. It's a purpose that guides the services/projects and rallies us. Everyone wants to produce A+ work, so the atmosphere centers around "top it" - take my idea and make it better (in a friendly way). The purpose is at the core, and it's supported by an amazing culture that helps employees be productive and engaged. Yes, everything you've read about the culture is true!

Cons

There can be times when a hasty change in plans leads teams to quickly re-form to attack the situation. That's why many of the desks are on wheels. If you're flexible, this works out fine. Also, if you want a linear career path with clean and tidy lines from one role to the next, that management philosophy is not embraced here. It's much more about finding your passion and learning about different aspects of the business.

Let's keep getting better at constant, honest feedback so that Fools know where they stand throughout the year. Coaches from outside of someone's department is a terrific step in that direction.

There are newer employer reviews for Motley Fool