Could be so much better

Current Employee - Software Program Manager in Libertyville, IL
Current Employee - Software Program Manager in Libertyville, IL

I have been working at Motorola Mobility

Pros

There is potential for Motorola to rise from the ashes and make some compelling, attractive Android handsets so although things have been pretty bad, there's a lot of room to grow. Only alternative for Motorola is to get better or cease to exist and so I think things will get better.

Cons

Years of senior level mismanagement has left the company (Mobile Devices) in a very difficult situation to succeed.

Advice to Management

Please clean up shop and remove those Mid to Senior-level management who have been performing poorly for years.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Used to be a great company.

Former Employee - Senior Director Product in Libertyville, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Director Product in Libertyville, IL

I worked at Motorola Mobility

Pros

Good technology. Challenging work. Still some good people.

Cons

Horrible upper management. Terrible strategic decision making. Favoritism in all promotion and organizational decision making. Used to be a great place to work. It's sad that Mobile Devices degraded so badly over the past several years.

Advice to Management

Stop using "who you know" as the criteria for promotions / organizational decisions.

2. Motorola needs to stop laying ppl off and needs to figure out how to use the ppl that it has to make great products.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at Motorola Mobility

Pros

The best reasons to work for Motorola is the flexible work schedule. You really feel like you are your own boss in the sense that you can decide whether you want to work from home on any given day. Also, one can take paid time off whenever it makes sense.

Cons

The constant lay offs are a real downer. They have been going on since 2000 and we just had another 4000 announced recently in January of 2009.

Advice to Management

Motorola should be more aggressive and more innovative in the area of mobile devices. We created the cell phone industry and we should not allow Motorola phones to be at the bottom of the racks. We can no longer rely on One Hit Wonders like many articles have mentioned, we need a steady stream of great quality phones. Senior Management needs to find a balance between quality and features. Even for the hit phone that we had, the RAZR, I heard way too many complaints with regard to quality. Engineers that are not involved in the mobile device business should be utilized to give ideas on how cell phones can be improved, etc.