Motorola Mobility

www.motorola.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for Motorola Mobility

Great place to work for family-oriented workers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Motorola Mobility full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For most part, people are very easy going at least in my department. There is a strong sense of family at Motorola. I've seen people leave and return on multiple occasions because the work environment is very balanced. I think many people stay because it's family friendly with reasonable work hours.

Cons

I think a main problem is that the previous senior leadership was very disorganized so projects would be created and then discarded at a moment's notice. You could spend months on a product and then it would get cancelled at the last minute. I can see why Motorola eventually ended up being sold to Google because they could not be self-sustain with the products they sold on the marketplace.

Pay and benefits are average compared to other companies in the valley. This makes it hard to attract top-talent or keep good employees around for long periods of time.

At least in my department there isn't any room for growth. It's very flat hierarchy with too many managers in the department. Google worked to flatten the layers of bureaucracy but in doing so made it impossible for growth in the company.

1563 Other Employee Reviews for Motorola Mobility (View Most Recent)

Land of missed opportunities

Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lot of talented engineers who worked very hard

Cons

Bosses higher up who did not have a vision and kept making decisions that are counter intuitive.

Believe in what you do rather than changing the story everyday

Changes are inevitable - What does 2013 has in stock for MOT Mobility

Former Employee - Marketing in Libertyville, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing in Libertyville, IL

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time

Pros

*Good benefits (it was better in the past)
    *Skilled professionals, good work environment
    *Company is trying to attract top talent by moving its headquarters to downtown Chicago
    *Communication from upper management with the employees seems more open and frequent

Cons

*Some of the personnel brought over from Google do not understand the mobile industry especially as it relates to hardware
    *Execution at the mid-high management is not necessarily in sync with the vision pictured by upper management
    *Changes implemented after the Google take over were not totally logical leaving a lot of uncertainty

2013 execution will be key for the future of the company. Make sure you hear feedback from the "doers" and put people with the right skill set in the right places. International markets are different from the US, selling handsets is completely different from selling ads and carriers are still very relevant.

There are newer employer reviews for Motorola Mobility