There are newer employer reviews for Motorola Mobility

Great learning experience but too many management changes

Former Employee - Director, Strategic Sourcing in Libertyville, IL
Former Employee - Director, Strategic Sourcing in Libertyville, IL

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team, smart and motivated people. Exciting industry - high technology that is fast paced and innovative.

Cons

Too many changes in management too soon, severe competition reduces profitability, many copycat products coming from overseas like Taiwan and China.

Advice to Management

Keep stability in leadership, build a more cohesive team based environment

reviews filtered by
  1. The market shifts rapidly

I worked at Motorola Mobility

Pros

Salary was very good at the time.
    There were many opportunities to grow.

Cons

Prior to the purchase by Google, management missed several massive changes hovering just over the horizon. An example was the shift from conventional to smart phones. At the time, we were all in on conventional phones, price warring with Nokia, when Apple introduced the first viable smart phone. In the year prior to Apple's release you could feel something changing in the market. I hope this lack of vision is now resolved.

Advice to Management

See what is coming.

2. A fun place to work if you can keep up with the pace/stress

I worked at Motorola Mobility full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Motorola was a fun place to work with some great people - I was able to form lifelong friendships. Also, with deep pockets and extensive resources, I was able to work on exciting projects of which I was genuinely proud. Also, I flourished in the fast-paced environment that was always looking forward.

Cons

The only constant at Motorola was change, so there was no use getting used to anything. And while I liked the pace, I gave up a lot of personal time to work - I used to laugh at the idea of vacation time because I never used it. Also, it was a very competitive environment, so while there were some really nice people, there were also some REALLY nasty people who couldn't wait for me to fail - I just had to remind myself that "haters gonna hate!" and it fueled me to be even better at my job.

Advice to Management

There was a lot of bureaucracy at Motorola - with many layers of management. A simplified structure that collapsed the multiple layers would have been more productive.