There are newer employer reviews for Motorola Mobility

Just doing enough to stay above water.

Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL
Former Employee - Senior Electrical Engineer in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Motorola Mobility

Pros

It was a great place to begin my career and have opportunities to learn and grow. A lot of very talented engineers who were always willing to see you succeed.

Cons

Executive leadership led us into terrible condition, now they spend more time trying to get out of a bad shape instead of strengthening themselves for the future

Advice to Management

Stop flooding the marketplace with 60 products on the roadmap per year. Concentrate your engineering resources to reduce the number of hardware platforms and focus your SW efforts on more than just making the hardware work. The UI is not compelling, usability is nothing special, and there is no WOW factor.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

This once great company needs new leadership with committment.

Current Employee - Distinguished Member of Technical Staff in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Distinguished Member of Technical Staff in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Motorola Mobility

Pros

Good opportunities to learn about high tech.

Cons

The company is heading downhill. Senior management and board of directors are hopelessly incompetent. It really is a great shame. The engineers are excellent but have their hands tied by incompetent management. he biggest problem I see with Motorola is that they can't compete. There is great innovation in the company that can lead to great products. But once competition comes in they falter. We must learn to compete in our markets where ultimately every product becomes an commodity.

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO with vision and commitment to making this once great company great again. Chopping up the company is not the way to make it happen. We need to leverage our great engineers and innovation and leverage our strengths.

Good-bye Moto! Once upon a time a great company.

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Motorola Mobility

Pros

Motorola had/has an incredible benefits package. Our team was an internal start-up so we had a great deal of leeway, and were challenged to break the mold and get to market fast.

Strong brand, although it is declining as new entrants with sleeker and sexier technology enter the marketplace.

Good people who were pleasant and helpful.

Even when laid off, severance and benefits package was substantial.

Cons

Incredibly beauracratic, and the previous leadership rode RAZR into the ditch. It is a shame when you see all the incredible offerings from Nokia, Blackberry, Samsung and Apple. Information sharing across divisions was limited. Senior management was risk averse, and even in our small team, it was like the leadership never talked to each other, and came together. Cost cutting resulted in the business being shut down even though it was a tremendous growth area.

The Zander era really hurt the company, and it has been laying people off, cutting businesses left and right because it can't figure out the business model. People have to want to buy your products.

Lots of yes people at the Director and VP level. Very inward focused with the customer not being taken into account when decisions are made.

Advice to Management

Stop thinking that you have to hit a home run on everything, that leads to people not willing to take risks. You win the game with lots of singles and doubles. Focus on strengths and differentiation in product, get hungry and stop relying on past success as an indication of your future. You cannot cut your way to profitability.

Management is like a bunch of carpet baggers getting what they can before they bail, actually plan on making a difference.