There are newer employer reviews for Motorola Solutions

good work/life balance..not much growth opportunity

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer
Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good balance, good learning, work from home flexibility and flexible hours

Cons

Not much appreciation for employees.. salaries and benefits below avg. Feels like old boys club...things move at a very slow pace

Advice to Management

Should bring in some young passionate people at senior management

Other Employee Reviews for Motorola Solutions

1. Awesome people, great benefits, salary comparable...

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great! Very friendly, helpful, compassionate... Excellent benefits - bar none! Salary is comparable - won't be eating caviar everyday, but you definitely won't starve!

Cons

The climate (now, of course not the Moto of time past) is that "these great people" are dispensable. Buildings are being sold left & right on the campus, downsizing everywhere, many fearing & not knowing if they'll be cut next. A turbulent time but hopeful it will recover.

Advice to Management

Take care of your greatest asset - not the shareholders, not Wall Street analysts, not the CEO's lifestyle - none of this!!! It's the great people that helped build this company that has been around for 85 years.

Collapsing under its own weight

I have been working at Motorola Solutions full-time

Pros

I have skillful technical coworkers. Our paychecks clear. There is an abundant supply of "Go Team!" flavored Kool-Aid provided by the company for those who thirst. The work day is not overlong. They are very proud of things they did in WWII.

Cons

MSI has gone from about a gazillion employees a decade ago down to 21,000 now, and they're still selling off business units and laying people off. Much of the radio technology is ancient and heavy and overpriced. The company is organized into fearful defensive product silos. Creativity comes from corporate acquisitions, which MSI then proceeds to mismanage into the ground. Motorola Solutions appears to hate their employees. At the moment, my coworkers are scrambling to produce marriage licenses and birth certificates to prove our dependents aren't lies and fabrications. If we fail to accomplish this by a certain date, the company will stop paying benefits to our families. No, really.

Advice to Management

Motorola has terrible management, and far too much of it. The company has added process upon process upon process over the eons, each process fiercely defended by petty bureaucrats as if it were the most important thing in the world, to the point where it's like swimming through jello to get any useful work done. The Motorola Way Of Doing Things may have been successful once, in 1952 or something, but its plainly old and sad and tired now. The best part of my job is working with experienced technical people. Alas, many of them are growing frustrated with MSI and beginning to interview elsewhere and leave. They're not leaving because of the work, or because of the pay, or because of long hours; they're leaving because the company is a confusing and discouraging place to work.