Mount Carmel Health

There are newer employer reviews for Mount Carmel Health

payroll coordinator

Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Columbus, OH
Current Employee - Payroll Specialist in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

benefits are awesome, pay is ok, people are good

Cons

it has become very political

take manager classes to fully understand being a manager and the responsibility of

43 Other Employee Reviews for Mount Carmel Health (View Most Recent)

Meh

Current Employee - Nutrition Services Aide
    Current Employee - Nutrition Services Aide

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health full-time

Pros

good benefits, no scheduled overtime (you can choose whether or not to pick it up), decent sense of camaraderie within each department, poor/cruel low-level management (directly above low workers) tend to be dealt with accordingly

Cons

-Very few pay raises. This is the first year after three years that raises were given out. It amounts to a significant pay cut, and the pay here isn't that great for the Columbus area. OSU has much better pay and much more paid vacation time.
    -Upper management is entirely clueless to how normal every day operations are run. When some FT employees essential to a department are let go, they don't always allow those departments to bring in new hires to replace. As a result, everyone else in the department suffers, and they don't care.
    -if working in the kitchen, nursing is extraordinarily disrespectful. I have worked at multiple Mount Carmel hospitals and this has been true at all of them. Always asking for more and more favors while doing nothing for you as well as regularly lying in messages to kitchen supervisors making kitchen employees look bad. You also have to prepare things for various special events to honor different departments, but no other department does anything for you. All the talk about respect between departments does not extend to the kitchen or, I suspect, to housekeeping.
    -Constant requests for overtime. If life circumstances prevent you from taking it or you just don't want to, expect to be asked and turning it down 1-2 times a week.
    -Disorganization due to being understaffed. Employees are routinely asked to do too much and can't take breaks including a full 30-minute lunch break.
    -Doctors are given free snacks. People who make at most 20% what they do? Have to pay for everything.
    -I have seen people fired for being in same-sex relationships. As a result, I am not open about my life at work.
    The issues I have seen at every hospital I've worked at, not just Mount Carmel, include disrespect from nursing etc toward kitchen staff and low wages. Comes with the territory, I suppose. But the disorganization and understaffing and free food for doctors while those who can't always afford it have to pay are unique to Mount Carmel among all employers I've had.

-LISTEN to low-level employees. Have several quarterly meetings with the people who actually do the WORK and are the backbone of the hospital, in support services, held at different times so all shifts have a chance to attend.
    -The more you make, the more benefits you have is a ridiculous policy. I know it's completely normal in the US, but it's never been fair.
    -Enforce the guiding behaviors between departments.

Great place to work and excell

Current Employee - PAA
    Current Employee - PAA

I have been working at Mount Carmel Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The Mission Statement tells you a lot about the focus of the organization. Respect, Social Justice, Compassion, Care of the Poor and Undeserved and Excellence. Inspired by their faith based traditions they have a unrelenting focus on clinical and service outcomes to create a excellence in care for all who enter their doors and the poor that is in homeless camps that have no access to heath care.

Cons

I don't know if I have ran into a downside yet from working there. Maybe that since there is more and more folks working for them our lunch break isn't going to be long enough to eat after we have waited to get our food.

There are newer employer reviews for Mount Carmel Health