Used to be a lot better

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Move

Pros

The technical and institutional knowledge of the engineers is phenomenal. These are some of the most skilled and dedicated people I have ever worked with, and I have learned a lot during my tenure. Team cohesiveness among the Westlake Village office is fantastic.

Cons

Move's biggest problems are its inter-office politics, and the failure of executive management to rein this in, as well as the management's inability to actually implement the ideals it espouses. The result is a constant requirement to play "cover your [behind]" to make sure you cannot be blamed if project goes over schedule, as it inevitably does. Teams in other locations were also unwilling to listen to advice and/or constructive criticism, meaning that they had to invent the wheel all over again and learn the hard way. This happens repeatedly, and the executives continue to bury their heads in the sand.

When you have people who have been with the company for years and years, listen to what they have to tell you, because they've been through it before and can tell you why some initiative failed or had to be scrapped. It's not because they're "old dogs" who can't learn "new tricks"; they're trying to save you development cycles. Also, practice what you preach!

Other Reviews for Move

Move has definitely regressed over the past few years...

Current Employee - Engineering  in  Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Westlake Village, Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Move

Pros

Move has a very relaxed environment, and generally works on alot of cutting edge technology.

Cons

Move works across multiple offices, and as much as they advertise geographic neutrality, the better more exciting projects have been moved, or will be moved to Northern California or Vancouver. Senior management does not show much respect anymore for engineers, and does not know how to motivate. Morale is at an all time low, which is disappointing because this company was once such a great place to work.

- Work on morale, not through words, but actions. People are not stupid, they know when they're getting fed a whole bunch of bull.
    - Work on career growth. There is NO path or structure whatsoever for career growth. It is relatively arbitrary, you have to be in the right place at the right time. It is generally never experience or skill based.

Good, innovative company - improving greatly

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager  in  Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Move

Pros

New management team, innovation is taken really seriously. I like the direction we are going in.

Cons

Benefits are a bit sparse - but the work is good and the Real Estate business is really exciting.

Continue to let the SMEs lead the way in their areas. Communicate plans to the leaders (below C-level) a bit better.

There are newer employer reviews for Move.

Worked for Move? Contribute to the Community!