Educational and horizon-expanding

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Moxie Software

Pros

Encouraged to come up with creative ways to present products and services to potential customers unconstrained by product realities; Standards set by the CEO were a refreshing reprieve from traditional metrics and principles; Payroll never missed despite ongoing financial challenges; Five star hotels on business trips

Cons

Competing political agendas between managers were at time difficult to navigate; Enthusiastic usage of flex-hours policies made meeting scheduling at times difficult; VOIP systems were unreliable (often, oddly, with the sounds of dogs barking? seriously.); Poor incentive management, bonuses were seldom discussed and never awarded

Advice to Management

The widespread impression was that the executive team were working predominantly to boost the company's valuation to recoup VC dollars that had been sub-optimally allocated by previous interim-executives. In practice, the software product falls slightly short of corporate communications, and feedback was neither encouraged nor incorporated into subsequent versions. The prevailing executive belief seemed to be that the market "did not understand" the software product, but market feedback seems to indiciate that it does.

reviews filtered by
  1. Moxie: Great team, great company, great opportunity!

Current Employee - Director of Product Management in San Bruno, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product Management in San Bruno, CA

I have been working at Moxie Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New CEO, great sales team, smart people, no petty politics...Moxie is a pretty great place to be these days. I've read the criticisms by former employees, but that's not the reality today. I've been here for the past 3 years and Moxie is a very different company these days with renewed enthusiasm, direction and improved leadership in critical areas.

Moxie affords people the room to grow, experiment, and evolve professionally and I'd recommend it to friends looking for a challenging opportunity.

Cons

If you have a difficult time working with remote team members, it can be challenging as we have three office hubs in CA, WA, and TX. It would be great if we were all in one location, but that's about it.

Advice to Management

Keep up all the great work! One recommendation that I have (here comes my San Francisco nature) is that in addition to manager-to-report reviews, is that we do the inverse as well, where team members can provide formal review/feedback to their managers as part of the process. It's a good exercise. As a manager, I solicit and welcome feedback from my reports. I think we should formalize it.

2. Fast paced, great customers, new technology platform is very promising. New CEO has changed the destiny of Moxie.

I have been working at Moxie Software

Pros

Very customer focused. New technology platform is leaps and bounds ahead of competition.

Cons

None really. Besides being the crazy startup you would expect.

Advice to Management

Keep the focus; try not to do too many things at the same time as was a mistake in the past.