There are newer employer reviews for Mullen

All agencies are stressful sweatshops. But I still loved this place.

Former Employee - Accounts
Former Employee - Accounts

I worked at Mullen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mullen wins awards. Mullen craps out mediocre work. Mullen will chew you up & spit you out. Mullen will expose you to smart, irreverent, talented people. It is what you make of it. I definitely took more from Mullen than Mullen got from me. I made a ton of mistakes, but overall left happy.

Cons

I mean, it's high school. There are jocks, nerds, cool kids. Everybody wants to show off & prove they're the smartest person in the room. How you feel about high school is a pretty good indicator of how you'll feel about Mullen. But that's the ad game anyway. Unrelated, if you don't care about NYC/SF/Chicago, W-S is a wonderful sleepy southern city.

Advice to Management

Keep pissing off creatives so they will keep starting their own little boutique shops. Winston is chock full of creative talent thanks to this.

Other Employee Reviews for Mullen

Simply unacceptable

Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Mullen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clearly, they know how to produce meaningful creative work . . .

Cons

. . . But is it worth it? Do you want to sacrifice your personal life, your emotional stability, and your sense of self to play a role in the development of an advertisement? If you do, work here! My biggest issue is that Mullen makes no effort to nurture talent or provide mentorship. Several years ago, I was fresh off the boat from school and new to the ad world. This was the wrong first step in my career. I proactively mentioned to my manager that I felt I had no guidance from my peers or superiors. "Too bad" was the response I got and was urged to navigate the waters alone. I was so disappointed because I had such high hopes for this agency. I now work for another agency in the area (Communispace), which offers tremendous opportunities for training and learning. We even have a Professional Development Forum twice a year.

Advice to Management

Your people are your most valuable resource. Do you know what people say about Mullen? "You start looking for another job after the first week." I urge you to train middle and senior management to create more training and learning opportunities for new employees and, above all, to encourage collaboration vs. competition. Everyone's in it to win it, which isn't a bad thing, but the employees' sense of self-importance seems to supercede the overall goal to provide clients with meaningful work.

2. Copywriter Intern

Former Employee - Copywriting Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Copywriting Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Mullen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Real work if you're a go getter!

Cons

LONG hours (but that's just the industry)

Advice to Management

none