Multi Sales
www.multisalesinc.com La Palma, CA 50 to 149 Employees

In My Opinion, Buyers Won't Last Very Long Here--Unless Underpaid

Purchasing Agent (Former Employee)
La Palma, CA

I worked at Multi Sales full-time for more than a year

ProsCasual dress code, good benefits. Quarterly merit based bonuses. Wholesale (customer) pricing is offered to employees, which can potentially save you a few hundred dollars or more next time your garage door needs replacing. The owner is a wonderful person who actually knows every employee by name and eats lunch in the break room, freely conversing with anyone and everyone, regardless of how high up or low down on the totem pole they are.

ConsThere is an alarming pattern in the purchasing department at this company: they appear to have a pattern of hiring a buyer at a fair market rate, giving them merit based bonuses repeatedly because their performance is good, and then suddenly treating the buyer as if half of the failings of the company can be traced back to her or him, and the buyer is now worthless, stupid, incompetent, and not worth what they're being paid, and in spite of working ungodly hours to meet the demands of the position, soon the buyer is either laid off or their work environment becomes so untenable that they quit. This happened to seven different buyers that I know of over a period of less than five years (although I can't vouch for all of them with regard to working ungodly hours; only myself)-- but this is in a purchasing department with only three people to begin with!! You do the math. Tremendous turnover there.

In my opinion, if you are offered a job here as a buyer, and you're not offered significantly less than fair market salary for your experience and background, you're probably not going to end up lasting there very long. And don't get too excited if you get a big raise here -- in a few more months that big raise may become the proverbial kiss of death for your tenure at Multi Sales in La Palma.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is my opinion that you would be better off without you-know-who. (And I'm not talking about the head of the purchasing department either; I think you know to whom I am referring.) During the time I was there, this person created what is in my opinion a hostile work environment, by using primarily fear to motivate. Whenever the slightest thing went wrong, many employees were so busy trying to shift blame and avoid the wrath of this individual, they could not operate effectively as a team! Almost every single meeting I was in, it was someone's turn to get torn apart in front of their peers, whether deserved or not. You have the makings of a great company there. It's too bad it's ruined by the heavy handed management style of one person.

In spite of all the talk at Multi Sales about taking personal responsibility, the reality was, many employees spent a great deal of their energy attempting to shift responsibility, because peoples' survival instict kicks in when they feel their livelihood is constantly hanging by a thread. (And those unable to play the shift the-blame-game, who actually DO take personal responsibility, may soon find this isn't a good idea after all.)

There are newer reviews on Multi Sales.

Worked for Multi Sales? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Multi Sales reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Multi Sales employees.