Multi Service

www.multiservicecareers.com
  www.multiservicecareers.com
There are newer employer reviews for Multi Service

Great place to work. But not enough pay.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at Multi Service part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

First I am not in management. I have been here along time.Very flexible with hours. People do not get laid off here. They always find a place for you. Nice atmosphere. Clean. Business casual. Hey, you can wear jeans everyday. Job stability. Reduced cost gym membership, free royals tickets, chiefs day, company picnic. Company dinner. Free coffee. Company barbecues.Birthday treats. If you need something to do your job better, they get it for you.

Cons

The pay scale is terrible here. Most people that are single have to get a second job to be able to survive. A lot of the people that leave, leave because they don't make enough money. The insurance is outlandishly priced and they exclude a lot of procedures and medications. I have worked under several different managers. I have had a few that were fair. But more that are not fair. Favoritism is rampant. Many departments make you feel like you are in high school again. Managers who are always in meetings and unavailable.

My advice to management is compare our wages to other companies that do the same thing. Ask yourself why do most of our employees have to have second job. You will find that most make more than your starting pay here. If they don't it is because they have a bonus system. Figure out how to get the health insurance costs down. Scrutinize your managers. Are they just telling you what you want to hear? Are they treating all employees the same or do they have favorites that they let do what they want? Do they send people on errands while they are on the clock? Do the employees feel they are appreciated?

37 Other Employee Reviews for Multi Service (View Most Recent)

Exhausting, lacking structure and progressive leadership

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Multi Service

Pros

The people make the environment bearable.
    Exposure to unique business model and industry.
    For those high-volume, high-visibility programs, chance to interact with industry titans.

Cons

Senior management lack modern management knowledge and techniques.
    Problem with matching skillsets to positions, leading to expectations and evaluation issues.
    The combined pay and benefits package is well below average for the type of work performed.
    Employee turnover, making continuity and knowledge transfer a major issue.
    Consistently understaffed, lack of productivity analysis and ROI.
    Time-off and time management policies are Draconian in nature.

Realize the individual and collective limitations of current Brain Trust. This includes the most senior folks there that have a self-perception issue that does not reconcile reality with expectations. Employees are constantly missing the mark based on this perception, which is not fair to the employee. Annual reviews are woefully inadequate.

Until the merry-go-round or revolving door issues are solved, the work just shifts to those whom have been there the longest - which is hardly a reward for such loyalty and faith.

Embrace the needed changes to culture, program administration, and software development.
    Hire and employ more people with matching skill sets, not just kids out of college. This creates a problem from the very beginning, akin to fitting a Square peg in a Round hole.

Identify those characteristics and qualities that have made various programs successful. Embrace them and look to hire based off of that analysis.

Relying on the Wunderlic Personnel Test is not a good indicator of future success. Things are more complicated and complex and you need more specific skillsets that are not obtainable by trolling the recent grad market. Maybe for low-level positions, but not key positions in the larger programs. Yes, this means you will have to pay more, but this helps with long-term sustainability and program continuity.

It takes more than one VP to change the culture- it starts at the top and occurs simultaneously with those throughout the organization.

Good place to start a career then leave for more money at a better company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Overland Park, KS

I worked at Multi Service

Pros

Opportunities to work on stuff that only qualified people would get to at other company's
    Work that will give you a good resume
    Some great people
    The company's business is neat. I had fun geeking out with coworkers.

Cons

If you're good, you'll be working ridiculous hours until you snap at coworkers you like. Wash, rinse, repeat. Wash, rinse, repeat. Then you burn out and leave.
    Pay is bad until you resign or they figure out you're looking. You can suddenly be worth $15K more.
    More internal drama than you movie theater.
    The real problems that stand in the way are never resolved so all your hard work will never make an effect.
    I don't have too much of confidence in the longterm future of MSC.

The reviews make me see that former employees are angry. Why? Because they cared and worked hard but it didn't make an effect. I would say to ask them about it, but you wouldn't listen or make changes anyway. Your loss.

There are newer employer reviews for Multi Service