There are newer employer reviews for Multiband

A company with peaks and valleys; though basically good, it is in a constant state of flux with no consistent direction.

Current Employee - Installation/Service Technician in Evansville, IN
Current Employee - Installation/Service Technician in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Multiband full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, with good people at the local level. Direct communication with your immediate superiors. Better than average pay for the services you perform.

Cons

High variance in pay that fluctuates with the available work provided. The work, specifically in satellite equipment, is inconsistent. Most locations have no redundancy in place to keep employees for the long term. Drops in business are severe, and can move people from feast to famine in a heartbeat.

Advice to Management

Not much management can do. The structure needs changed from the top down. More services and greater diversification is needed at the local/regional level.

Other Employee Reviews for Multiband

Work for free

Current Employee - Technician in Novi, MI
    Current Employee - Technician in Novi, MI

I have been working at Multiband full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work autonomously for the most part. Training and technology is good. Health Benefits are available but expensive, 401k available but $ company match is a joke, few paid holidays.

Cons

Spend 10 - 15% of work week looking for equipment for installs, time and milage unpaid for. Costomer not home or job cant be completed, your not compensted for time and milage. Upgrade pay for current customers is terrible. Spend 3 or 4 hours on the job for $15.00 Way to much work for free.

Advice to Management

Give the technicians equipment they need to do there job and pay them for it.

An unfortunate place to work

Former Employee - Installation Technician in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Installation Technician in Bloomington, IL

I worked at Multiband full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the trainers well enough. Someone brought doughnuts once. I am really struggling to think of anything positive beyond that.

Cons

I had a difficult time getting the parts I needed to perform the assigned work. Technicians were not allowed to reschedule jobs even if parts were not available. Technicians were expected to spend unpaid time and (own gas money if you had to use your own vehicle like me) begging other techs for equipment they were likely short of as well. I am not sure that this unpaid work was legal, but they insisted that Multiband couldn't do anything about parts shortages and we needed to figure something out amongst ourselves and no jobs could be rescheduled. No mention is made when you are hiring on that the job is seasonal or cyclical, and new techs will be the first to lose work as business slows. I incorrectly believed this to be a steady position. When things slowed down in winter time, I was cut down to one or two $15 upgrade jobs per day. It is tough to live on $15 dollars a day. The company will not layoff but rather starve out techs in order to not pay unemployement. Employees written up constantly. I had never been written up for any reason in many years of work until working at Multiband. My entire group was written up for following an order from a tech supervisor. We were supposed to call in sick 4 hours before shift but supervisor would not answer calls earlier than 2 hours before shift. As such, any sick day was a write up. Myself and most of the other techs were written up most weeks. In an already difficult job, this does not improve morale. I was required by supervisor to start jobs even after dark, even after pointing out that it is rather unsafe to be on a ladder and on roofs in the dark. No job can be rescheduled, safety is not as important as on time metrics. You are told that you cannot be on a roof for any reason without your supervisor present. In reality, techs need to be on the roof for the vast majority of their jobs, and the supervisor cannot be present with all of them at once. As such, there is an unspoken policy that you can be on the roof without the supervisor, just don't get caught by someone higher up in management. This puts the tech in a bad position wherein they are unofficially told to work on the roof, but if they are caught, they will be written up or fired. This could also be used to deny work comp benefits. If a new installation has a problem within the first week or so, the tech who installed it gets in trouble or written up. There is pressure to return to any of these installs unpaid on your own time to resolve the issue vs. getting in trouble with the company. The problem could be as simple as someone forgetting how to use the input button on their tv.

Advice to Management

See above. Unless things have changed recently, this was a shockingly bad company to work for. With a few fixes, you could reduce what has to be absolutely legendary employee turnover and quit wasting so much money on constantly training new techs.