There are newer employer reviews for Municipality of Anchorage

As far as governments go, a great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Municipality of Anchorage full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Predictable as far as salary and benefits, good benefits, optional 80 hours over 9 days instead of 10, union contracts

Cons

Union contracts are sometimes annoying to deal with, and often protect the lazy and unmotivated, depending on where you start in the pay scale, you might top out after only 4-5 years; also, the general nature of government is that sometimes things get a little unstable due to property values and tax receipts; also politics play into what is expected of you sometimes. The mayor I worked under liked to grandstand and puff him self up, while mostly ignoring the folks on the ground doing the work

Other Employee Reviews for Municipality of Anchorage

1. I love my job.

Current Employee - Refuse Equipment Operator in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Refuse Equipment Operator in Anchorage, AK

Pros

The Muni is a great employer because they have an equal opportunity approach, pay well, and go to more than reasonable lengths to train, support and retain employees. In other words, anyone with proper qualifications will have an equal shot at a job, and once hired, the muni will do everything reasonable to keep from letting that person go.

Cons

I suppose you could make an argument that the fairness can work against a motivated, outstanding employee, because I have found that promotions are based almost solely on seniority, regardless of other factors. I've seen much less-motivated individuals promoted over harder working and more dedicated ones just because they started earlier. That's life...

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the quality of work and employee's dedication when considering individuals for promotion.

2. Tech

Former Employee - Technician in Anchorage, AK
    Former Employee - Technician in Anchorage, AK

I worked at Municipality of Anchorage (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work. Good perks. Alaska is a great place to raise a family and hunt and fish.

Cons

Expensive to exist. You need to have your spouse work a good job also if you want to live comfortably. Housing is expensive.