There are newer employer reviews for Murphy Oil

I busted my butt and now I have nothing to show for it

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

Pros

Good commission. It's guaranteed unless you REALLY screw up. Customers are great. Paid trips to Disney World for company meetings.

Cons

My District manager was horrible. When I wasn't being cussed at or criticized in front of other managers, my job was being threatened. The DM I had would fire whoever he felt like and make up lies on the termination so they wouldn't get their unemployment. And when you try to let HR know, they don't do anything about it.

Advice to Management

Keep a strong check on your DM's. Don't let them get away with murder, because you think it's too hard to replace a DM. When someone comes to you and tells you there's a problem, perhaps you should actually investigate it.

Other Employee Reviews for Murphy Oil

1. Accumulate significant amount of experience within short span of time in Murphy 's busiest operations.

Current Employee - Senior Drilling Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
    Current Employee - Senior Drilling Engineer in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Pros

dynamic work places. information is shared across the board. employees are reward accordingly. decision is made rather quickly and easy to reach the senior management.

Cons

Well sequence and priority is changing rapidly. company has contracted too many consultants as their core work forces in drilling and completion operation who care less about training up the permanent employee.

Advice to Management

retain and reward the individual who perform well. should stay a notch above the industry average in the compensation and rewards.

2. Just Not Good

Former Employee - District Manager
    Former Employee - District Manager

Pros

Salary and benefits were okay. Once a year the company had a store manager meeting in Orlando, FL and recognized accomplishments.

Cons

This company is living in the 70's. Employees are expendable. Turnover is very high. Turnover is part of the commission program but rarely discussed. The company goes through great lengths to retain customers but does not show its employees the same respect. The review process is horrible.

Advice to Management

They need to create an "Exit Interview" program and dive into their turnover issue. Understand what the word "respect" means.