There are newer employer reviews for Murphy Oil

Very Frustrating Place To Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  El Dorado, AR
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Dorado, AR

I have been working at Murphy Oil full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The salary is good, benefits "look good" on paper

Cons

No common sense, idiotic rules, no opportunities for advancement

Of all the places I have worked, Murphy Oil is the most frustrating. I detect no common sense in the managers of this company. I have tried to suggest some things that will be of great help to everyone, but it was nothing more than an exercise in futility. I was basically told that there will be absolutely no change in the way things are done regardless of how beneficial it would be. It is run like a communist country. Employees should just keep their heads down and keeps their mouths shut. Just fill a seat for "X" amount of hours per day and that's it. There is no sense of contributing to the success of the company. Employees are just tools to be used and abused.

The salary and some of the benefits are good, because they know it is very difficult to attract good people to southern AR. But, trying to take the allotted vacation time is frustrating as well. Why do they offer so many weeks when they frown on you when you actually try to use any of them? This company proves that money should never be the sole factor in considering whether to take a job. I let that happen to me and now I am stuck here and can't escape....

80 Other Employee Reviews for Murphy Oil (View Most Recent)

I would not work there again for any reason.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Dalton, GA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dalton, GA

I worked at Murphy Oil full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

THERE WERE ABSOLUTELY NO PROS.

Cons

They treat their people horrible. They don't care about anything but their bottom line.

horrible company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Murphy Oil

Pros

great pay...great pay and that's it nothing is really a pro about this company..except for the managers meeting in florida in which they can save that money and put it in our pay checks.

Cons

dm's are horrible and also area managers. they have their favorites and that's who they role with. training is horrible esp for managers. the training is horrible due to the workload, therefore, the cmt wants a break so they can get rest. they overload you with work that cannot get done all in one day. they are company with high turnover of employees and they need to take an indepth look at that. i think the dm's need to work in the stores instead of from home. they need to have a home store where their office is based out of so they can see what is exactly going on in these stores. i think the executives need to the same so they can see what changes need to be made to this company. they worked us to death with all maineinance issues, however cut our commissions in half. they don't promote very well. dm's are messy like little girls. they tell your business to everyone and anybody when it should be confidential. the pay rate for cashiers for the work they do is horrible. murphy needs a complete turn around with staff it doesn't seem like it's getting any better and i was with the company for 3 yrs. very stressful and can cause a lot of health problems. no lunch breaks due to the way the company is set up which is not good for a stressful environment and especially if you have to work 2 shifts a day if you're shorthanded. and yes, upper management has no rush of help if you're shorthanded they don't try to help you out they just leave you out there to work. if you fire an employee upper management goes behind your back and places the employee at another store which makes it hard for you to manage your store because of what upper management did for the other employee. makes it hard for you to discipline your store. also, upper management cares more about the cashier than they do the manager. they will give the cashier more chances but will come in and straight fire a manager, who isn't stealing or anything but will let a cashier rob you and send him or her to work for an other manager. something is truely wrong with this picture.

management needs to grow up they are very immature and messy. in other words murphy needs professionalism not unprofessionalism. i have never seen such until i got with this company. they need to become more understanding of your situation and if they can't then these people of upper management need to come run the stores for about a month or so to see how we feel. this company could be good but it needs a lot of work...and i mean a lot of work....

There are newer employer reviews for Murphy Oil

Worked for Murphy Oil? Contribute to the Community!